Thursday, December 1, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #105



August 12th, 2004 - Dad 
Lake Sawyer, WA
We had a great turnout of family and friends, a beautiful day and a great new facility, Safeco Field.
We have a few days for the family reunion at Lake Sawyer. With the help of our sister-in-law, Anita, we got Paulette to fly up. It was a very welcome rest.
Aug. 12th, 2004 - Bob
Lake Sawyer, WA
WHEEEEEEEEWWWWWW is the feeling. We made it. We’re with family. No need to do nuttin’ but hang out for a few days. Great food, great people, my Bella is here, my sis and her partner Migdalia are coming -- and mom has, through some coercion, decided to fly up with her brother and sister-in-law. I’m so glad she’s coming. It’s a HUGE relief for my dad, who had actually been talking about flying back immediately to be with mom otherwise (we’re planning on hanging out ‘til Monday or Tuesday, I think). Nice. 
It’s weird, not having any planning to do. The Giants game on the 20th is our last and it’s set up. It’s at home. Wow...I haven’t done the math yet, but we’ve put somewhere near 20K miles on the Explorer in just under two months. That is movin’, boy. 
I won’t be able to wrap my head around this stuff for a while, nor do I really want to. I just want to kick back. I know I owe my body and mind some down time, so I offer now.
Detroit 5, Oakland 3
WP: Mike Maroth LP: Justin Duhscherer
August 18th, 2004 - Bob
Walnut Creek, CA
The Home Stretch
I'm at the folks place in the Bay Area. This last stretch has been difficult as illnesses have taken their toll. My mom has been having a hard time for some time, it seems. I'm hoping with Dad back home she'll feel more able to get back in the swing of things. 
My Bella has been out for three days now too, coming down with an infection that has sapped her normal boundless energy. Just for good measure, my cousin Jeremy busted up his knee while wake boarding and my cousin Kaili took a header off the table she Annamaria and my cousin Sarah were dancing and landed in a bush with some seriously sharp branches. One of those branches ended up poking through her eyelid! She took it well -- was in fact joking about it the next day as part of this silly yearly video we do called the “Lake Sawyer News”. 
I didn’t have last year’s “Lake Sawyer News” package edited for this year (been a bit busy, as you may have been reading) and was told by my younger cousins not to come back next year without it. 
Sure is nice to know your worth.
Among the walking wounded, I came down with some kind of allergic reaction to the lake we were staying at in Seattle and went down for a day myself. Migraine, stomach pain, membrane insane...good times.
At any rate, we're back in the Bay Area now and have just one game to go -- the Giants on Friday. We have sold our 25 tickets and have our tailgate goodies ready to pick up from Whole Foods. We are also having a Public Service Announcement shot by a crew for the National Parkinson Foundation. Fingers crossed all goes well. This PSA is supposed to run nationally and there are several big celebrity names being tossed about as the possible voice over for it. 
I still haven't been able to wrap my head around this entire trip yet. It's too much, too soon. I look forward to pulling the plug for a few days, then getting back to Las Vegas and really seeing what we've got. There are a number of excellent interviews coming up and one with Joe Buck may also be coming up very soon. 
I think having finished the road trip element of the trip may go a long way toward showing people that this is more than an idea. Showing what we've done, where we're going and what it's all for is going to get more people to understand the tremendous possibilities and perhaps get involved themselves.
Oakland 5, Baltimore 4
W: Mark Mulder L: BJ Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment