Sunday, December 18, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #119


January 20, 2005 - Mom
Walnut Creek, CA
A friend of ours has had great success with her cancer treatment with a Chinese medicine doctor named, Dr. Feng. She said he has had absolutely remarkable success with a number of patients. Dan and I go to see him tomorrow.
January 21, 2005 - Dad
Walnut Creek, CA
Paulette and I went to see Edward (Dr. Feng) for an evaluation, which consisted of him asking me about the symptoms of my PD, my diet and applying pressure to points on my feet. Based on the results he said if I follow his program he could help me. He said I should have treatments ten days in a row ad if I don’t feel I’m making progress that I should consider quitting treatment. 
I decided to begin and had a treatment that day. The treatment was the most painful experience I can remember. Dr Feng is an older man, at least late 60's, maybe late 70's but he is very fit and has very strong hands. His hands are his main tool but he also has a "T" shaped device. The top of the "T" fits into the palm of his hand and the metal shaft, about the diameter of a pencil with a rounded point, extends thru his fingers. He pounds on the bottom of the foot, on the instep, the heel and the toes. Some times depending on my reaction he encourages me to relax or be calm. 
Sometimes if I yell or scream very loud he tells me to “be brave” or mocks me, asking if I am going to "sing a song?".
We were in his office for about three hours, most of the time talking. 
There is also a strict microbiotic diet he wants me on that consists of his special rice mixture, organically grown fruits and vegetables (no spinach), a minimum of 64 ounces of spring water or his special tea and wheat grass. I was exhausted by the time we left. Paulette drove home. Oh yeah I got my first parking ticket in many years. I thought I slept a little better that night. My weight was 187 pounds.
January 21, 2005 - Mom
Walnut Creek, CA
His office reminds me of a set from “The Maltese Falcon”. It’s in an old part of San Francisco. Dr. Feng is elderly. I had a hard time understanding some of his words.  There was a woman having a treatment while Dan was having his feet soaked. She was screaming. I could hear him saying, very calmly, “You’re not being brave”. But then she walked out and she was smiling. 
I was very skeptical. Dan said he wanted to give it a try. He said he wouldn’t know unless he tried. Dad screamed like I’d never heard him scream before. I couldn’t see how there could be that much pain and then have positive results.

No comments:

Post a Comment