Sunday, December 11, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #113


Sept. 25, 2004
Michael J. Fox Foundation Headquarters
Manhattan, NY
INTERVIEW: Debbie Brooks
CEO of Michael J. Fox Foundation
RC: What is the goal here at the Michael J Fox Foundation?
DB: What we’re really trying to do is get a focussed effort on the research. So in a sense we have created an infrastructure to sift through all the research that’s going on and then prioritize it and get the money to those researchers. We’ve essentially created an opportunity for other folks to tag along. Because that’s hard work -- it’s expensive work to get that done well, to convene scientists and synthesize the information. Then to take action steps and raise money out there so that scientists can respond to the call, and then to monitor that and take anything that seems promising to the next level -- this is hard and important work. So, to the extent we can create that framework, then our goal is to invite anyone else that’s interested in the study to come along.
And our particular interest is to make sure that we get money to the most promising, high-impact projects as quickly as possible all around the world. 
DB:
Today, most people know what Parkinson’s Disease is. They may not have an accurate sense of it in that, they may think of it as just a shaking disease because a resting tremor is one of the cardinal and early features, but of course, Parkinson’s is a disease of lack of movement. So it’s almost ironic when you think of a Parkinson’s patient as shaking when in fact one of the things they can be really challenged with is they can be frozen and not be able to move at all.
RC:
Michael is obviously a “heart” place for people to go because they know him. But, I would guess, another way you may approach people is by telling them that a cure for Parkinson’s is, quite likely, a cure for a number of other illnesses.
DB:
Sure, scientiest are pretty clear about that. as complex as Parkinson’s is, it’s still the neurological disorder that we know the most about. It has the best models for scientists to work in, so this is a distinct advantage. Given that, the path toward making progress is probably clearer and as we learn things in Parkinson’s they can be readily applied to the areas of neruodegeneration that we don’t know as much about. It is what we call a “wedge disease”. Making progress in Parkinson’s can probably help in other areas. 
RC:
And what other areas are those?
DB:
Brian disorders. Alzheimers research for one, but some things we learn could be applicable in non-brain related areas such as spinal cord injury or juvenile diabetes -- and vice versa. It depends on what angle you’re looking at. I was even talking to people who work in epilepsy and there’s good work going on there. 
DB:
The good news for Parkinson’s patients is that there are many interesting paths. And one of the things we do here is we take a portfolio approach. Across the many, many grants that we’re funding are mini-strategies that hit along parts of pathways -- there is more than one pathway on how to get there so we have investments across all of these and I’d say one of the things that’s been tough is the past couple of years there have been two different areas where there was a lot of promise and then we’ve had some sobering news. But this is one of the places where the Fox Foundation shows leadership: when you come across some data that looks discouraging not to let the scientific community just walk away and be frustrated. But, in fact, to try to provide some leadership to keep everybody focussed on: “What did we learn about what went wrong here? What steps do we take forward regardless and how do we retreat just briefly and quickly to position ourselves to keep moving forward?” We’re interested in really not blindly following one path but looking across as many paths as we can that could lead us to answers. 
DB:
You know, one of the real privileges of doing this work is that you’re serving. When I think about the part of my job that is the job, it’s getting in here and doing the best work we can and making the most impact and being clever about how to do that and working hard at that. It’s rare that it doesn’t get eclipsed by the notion and the reminder of how important the work is. It’s not just good work, it’s important work; it’s not just hard work, it’s meaningful work. When people get to know us, it’s not long after they realize how dedicated we are and how much energy we’re putting into really trying to make a difference. So we’re often thanked and it’s one of those, “No, no thank you” -- “No, thank you!” because it really feels that way and I think it is one of the joys of being able to do this kind of work is to have that in mind. 
RC:
In your experience, do people, generally speaking, want to give?
DB:
I think everyone would like to be connected and figure out the best way that they can do something meaningful. 
DB:
As complex as Parkinson’s is, it’s still the neurological disorder that we know the most about.   It has the best models for scientists to work in. So this is a distinct advantage and, given that, the path toward making progress is probably clearer. And as we learn things in Parkinson’s they can be readily applied to the areas in neuro-degeneration that we don’t know as much about. 
DB:
Not just giving, but giving with impact. It’s a crucial and really fulfililng thing that all people can do. And by the way, giving with impact should be how everyone thinks about the way they give their gifts, no matter what size they are. Because, as a donor myself, I would hope that every donor wants to make sure that when they’re giving money they know that it’s being well cared for and that it’s going right to the mission and that it’s being efficiiently used. That leaves the bar high for folks like us but we don’t mind. 
DB:
I started liking baseball when I was a kid. I was a scorer for the boys baseball team when I was in junior high because I had a crush on the third baseman. So, maybe my initial motivation wasn’t as pure as it really could have been, but long after he was a distant memory I was out there going to baseball games and having fun.
RC:
Did you play?
DB:
I played in a few leagues. I lived in Chicago for a couple of years and there’s a huge league of young adults who get out there and play mixed-singles kind of thing. It was fun. 
RC:
What is your favorite baseball movie?
DB:
Still pretty partial to “Field of Dreams”. But I like...it’s hard to go wrong with “Bull Durham” or “A League of Their Own” or...even “Major League” with Charlie Sheen. I think they’re all fun. I even liked “The Bad News Bears” and “Angels in the Outfield” -- loved that one. That’s a pretty good setting for me to be just teed up and ready to watch a movie if it includes baseball. 
RC:
What is the greatest ballpark?
DB:
I still think I’m kind of partial to Fenway.
RC:
What makes Fenway special to you?
DB:
It’s a good spirit and it’s easy to get to when you live in Boston you can just hop on the subway. It was fun. 
RC:
I know you get thousands upon thousands of requests. What made you want to respond to ours?
DB:
It sounded like an exciting trip. I really admired you and your father going out on the road. I, personally, am a baseball fan and it just sounded like a constructive, positive and energetic message that you’d be out there carrying and it’s exciting. 
RC:
So tell me your favorite baseball memory -- or memories.
DB:
Well I’ve probably been to 19 ball parks, so I’m no slouch on the ball park tour. Of course, it’s been a while since I’ve been out on the road so a lot of the ball parks I’ve gone to are moth balls now. My first trip was to Candlestick Park with my grandfather when I was a little girl and I distinctly remember being taught, “Take me out to the ballgame” all the way to the game so that I’d be prepared for the 7th inning stretch. Some of my personal highlights would be -- I went to a few World Series games with the Phillies, ‘82 or ‘83? Somewhere around there. I saw Steve Carlton break a strikeout record. I saw Nolan Ryan throw his 5000th strikeout in person. I also saw him throw his 300th win up in Milwaukee, so I’ve actually -- I went to the last game at old Comiskey Park and the first game at new Comiskey Park (U.S. Cellular) so I have a little fun in my baseball world background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment