Saturday, December 10, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #112


September 23, 2004 - Bob
Las Vegas, NV
I realized something tonight: I'm not Superman. Much as I might like to think of myself as capable of doing just about anything, I am bound to the same restrictions of time, need for sleep and other basic rules of humanity as everyone else.
What I'm saying is, the rough cut will not be going out to Sundance tomorrow. I could send what I have...but I'm not going to threaten the integrity of the project -- it's not fair to everyone (myself included) who has worked so hard to get it to the place it is.
As I was beginning to cut (truthfully, I thought it was going to be more of a polish -- ha ha) the movie tonight, I suddenly realized that it was nowhere close to the movie I see in my head. This is a common flaw of mine -- I see something very clearly in my head and can't get it to look like that in the physical plane for others to see. The ability to do just that, according to David Koepp, is what makes a great director. 
I have done it before -- the gunslinger video looks a lot like what I imagined as do many parts of Luckey Quarter. "the long road home" looks less like what I imagined but more like what I allowed it to be. I like the way that sounds. The main difference with a flick like "the long road home" was I gave it a loooooong gestation period in editing. We re-shot the ending, we screened it several times. It's still not perfect, but it is done.
“Boys of Summer” is sooooo just beginning it's not even funny. 
And right now, with the fatigue I feel and staring at the clock the way I am (...time takes on such a strange demeanor when I'm overtired), I feel like it's time to just let it go. I'm going to New York in the morning for the two excellent interviews for Boys of Summer and the Stephen King film festival. 
It will be nice to get on that plane and let this part of things go. 
I tried my damnedest and it just wasn't good enough this time.

Everything for a reason. 
Texas 5, Oakland 4
WP: J. Nelson (1-2)   LP: O. Dotel (4-2)
The unthinkable just happened to the A’s: Dropping three to a division rival at this stage of the season?

No comments:

Post a Comment