Friday, December 2, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #106

Aug. 20, 2004 - Dad 
San Francisco, CA 
We are off on our last leg of our tour, the 850 mile return trip to the Bay Area. We allow two days so it's not too strenuous.

Our last ball game is in San Francisco at SBC Park. A beautiful park in a beautiful city. We had a small group which I think reflected the amount of energy we had left. But all of a sudden it was over. I was very tired and a bit disoriented and happy to have someone as young and energetic as Bob to complete the project.
Bob, I don't think I have ever thanked you for the experience of a life time. It was great to watch you grow and to just spend time with you. I thank you and I love you very much.
Aug. 20, 2004 - Bob
San Francisco, CA
SBC is beautiful. We parked in one of the lots across the footbridge and were able to tailgate with a good group of friends. It was weird being home in a way. Very matter of fact. Very much a feeling of, “well of course you made it” when so many times on the road it felt like anything BUT matter of fact. 
But here we are. Game #30.
We got interviewed by the local NBC affiliate’s, Vernon Glenn (“Mr. Involvement”). At one point after we’d reeled off answers we’d gotten quite used to answering, he said, “You guys really know what you’re doing.” After twenty-nine other parks and a good deal of media (and we were thankful for every last question!), yeah, we did have an idea of what we were doing. It was nice for me to see how comfortable dad had become in front of the camera. In Phoenix, at our first MLB game Dad was quite up tight. But now, he’s an “old” pro. 
It was great to share the game and the stadium with my Bella as she’d never been to a game at SBC. Dad and I had both been before, but not together. As we looked over the Bay, I was reminded of the beauty and the majesty of the place I am fortunate enough to call home, even though I haven’t lived here for quite some time. 
Park Number 30 (of 30), PacBell Park
San Francisco 7, New York Mets 3
 WP: N. Lowry (3-0)   LP: S. Trachsel (10-10) 
Oakland 9, Tampa Bay 5

No comments:

Post a Comment