Saturday, December 31, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #128


Well...a rough cut was made, though yours truly was the chief architect/editor. Mike is a great guy and an excellent editor -- his time is just not available right now as he's getting married. In all fairness, doubling his rate would have left him with the same amount, so I can understand where his loyalties may be.

I sloughed through it and REALLY enjoyed what I came out with. I showed it to my mom, dad and Annamaria in the Bay Area and got some excellent feedback. There were some blank looks and questions from time to time, but that’s okay (when I say rough, I mean it; for instance there were whole five-minute long sections with no audio. In my mind, I hear the dialogue, the voiceover, the score and the background in perfect harmony. Mom, dad and Annamaria are left with my descriptions of such things).

I am now recutting and moving forward. Mike may do some work after he gets back from his honeymoon, but that's a solid month away. In the meantime, I'll be adding, subtracting and keeping an eye on upcoming festival possibilities.

We received a fee waiver from the Seattle Film Fest. It takes place in late May/Early June. They need my cut at the end of the week. They said it’s okay if it’s rough. Okay...

Next up on the docket is an A's game in Oakland (for the final scene/denouement) -- this will wrap the movie, so dad can talk about his Parkinson’s, the progression of it and the incredible need to do things when the time is available rather than the ubiquitous "tomorrow". Our wrap-up game was scheduled for April 17th vs. the despised Angels of "Los Angeles/Anaheim" (Booooooooooo...), but, because of the Beverly Hills Film Fest (which Annamaria and I are very happy to be part of with “Luckey Quarter”), we'll be down in L.A..

As a matter of fact, Annamaria and I are loading up the trucks and moving to...well, not Beverly Hills, but Mar Vista (near Venice/West L.A.) at the end of this month. We’ve both lived in L.A. previously (before we knew each other). I have found the Vegas market has simply dried up when it comes to what I’m trying to accomplish film-wise. I need the challenge and the opportunities L.A. has to offer.

As for our wrap-up game for “Boys of Summer”, we’re now looking at May first versus the Mariners. Fingers crossed that all works out. It’s a wonder I don’t have arthritis with all this finger crossing.

After that we’re hoping for a Bay Area friends and family screening at the Parkway Theatre in Oakland. They’ve screened several other films of mine and one of their programmers, Will Viharo, has always been kind to me. I know we'll pack the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment