Thursday, December 15, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #116


December 31, 2004 - BOB
Las Vegas, NV
Mike is making significant progress with the film. He hopes to have a two-hour cut to show me by next week. He's very hopeful and excited about his process. I am too!
The first rough cut (for the festivals consideration ONLY) should be together by mid-February. That leaves me with a main target of Seattle’s Film Festival. I’ve heard a lot of good things about this festival and we have a tremendous amount of support up there. 
There is a lot of work to do between now and then. 
January 5, 2005 - Dad
Walnut Creek, CA
I wrote Dr. Sawchuk to explain my intention (of getting off of the Parkinson’s medications I am currently on so that I can begin the Parkinson Recovery Project) and ask his advice. 
This was his response:
I have briefly reviewed the techniques proposed. I have not seen any published literature on the results of the techniques.  
Based on what is known about Parkinson's disease (and we certainly don't know everything but do know quite a bit) I do not see how these therapies have any chance of "curing" Parkinson's disease. They might make you feel better for a short while.
  
Additionally I am concerned that you might be worse off overall coming off of medication. It seems that they offer no expectation of how much or when any benefit of their treatment will occur. I am concerned that you will spend a lot of money, be worse off while you are off of the medications, and end up no different in the end. I say this without malice or smugness and wish someone could come up with a curative treatment. Hope is not always reality though.
However, to come off of medications, I would taper the Mirapex to 1 mg 3 times per day for 3-5 days, then 0.5 mg 3 times per day for 3-5 days, then discontinue it. If you only have 1.5 mg pills, I can prescribe 0.5 mg pills for the taper. Since you didn't give me your medical record number I can't check or prescribe anything.”
I had already begun cutting back on my medication and by now was at half my previous dosage. At times I felt like scenes from movies about drug addiction. I was very anxious, unable to find a position of comfort and had great difficulty sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment