Monday, September 12, 2011

Boys of Summer book - Houston, June 24, 2004

This blog continues its path, sharing the inside details of the follow up to the award-winning documentary, "Boys of Summer". For more details, to watch the film or contribute to the sequel, please click here.

An email of support, sent June 24, 2004:

Dear Robert,

I'm not sure if this is the right way to contact you, but have decided to try anyway. My name is Lauren McCutcheon. I'm a board member of the Philadelphia chapter of NPF, locally named The Parkinson Council. Our chapter's web site is www.philaparkinson.org. 

If this isn't too last minute, I'd like to help in any way at all with your visit to Philly. As a member of the media, I'd be glad to contact the Phillies staff and media outlets, if you think this would be appropriate.

Looks like you, your dad and your crew are having a blast — and working really hard to make your dream come true.


Best wishes,

Lauren McCutcheon


June 24, 2004 - Bob
Houston, TX

Faith, community and miracles.

These three things are fast becoming the centerpieces of what we're doing. It warms my heart to have people come out and show the kind of support and love toward us they have. Things are opening up on a daily basis -- they've been happening so fast I find it difficult to keep track.

Sharing this journey gives me hope and belief in everything I know to be true about the goodness in people's hearts and souls. People want to give, they want to be part of something meaningful and they want to be loved. By offering what we're offering -- a community experience at an already beloved event (baseball) -- people are coming out and enjoying themselves and opening themselves up in a simple manner: just doing what they would do anyway.

When I asked my dad about this process, he just smiled and unflinchingly said these are miracles going on all around us -- I froze and tear up. It's wonderful to see how alive he is, how present he is and how happy he is.

We are grateful to and humbled by all of you the love and generosity.

Camping the night before at Guadalupe River State Park, TX

In Minute Maid Park.

For more details, to watch the film or contribute to the sequel, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment