Thursday, September 29, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #54

July 6, 2004 - Bob
Baltimore, MD
We have a small crowd of supporters joining us for the Baltimore game tonight, but a very enthusiastic one. Camden has been a long-reputed favorite of many, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it. 
I'm also looking forward to being in a part of the country where we'll have less driving for a bit (whew!). We've been logging some serious miles, but for the next few days ('til the 10th) we'll be in the two hours and under range. NICE. 
We had a great time with Naiden and Barb last night. They came down to Atlanta for the game, then we all drove back and had a little cookout at their place. Talk about your gracious hosts! Barb actually folded our laundry for us-- WHOA! And she says she doesn't dig domestics... 
My interview with Naiden went extremely well -- despite (or maybe because of) that pimpish cigar he demanded be in the shot ("If I'm going to be a star, I have to look the part", he said). Does anyone smell cutting room floor? 
I've been to D.C. one other time in my life -- when I was about 8, I think. I do have some memories of that trip, but obviously a few things have changed since then. It has been fun to talk to dad about his military experience and contrast it with how he sees the world now. He served in the late 60’s as part of the ROTC program out of college. He was stationed in Fort Collins, Colorado when my sister was born. His entire battalion was sent to Viet Nam. My dad, as a tank commander, would have been right on the front line. For whatever reason, he didn’t have to go. 
We've had lots of long discussions about life and how (and why) things are done. 
In the A's bag, the boys seem to be hitting their stride again. They are a 2nd half team and here's to hoping Chavez and Hudson get healthy and Dotel becomes the hammer should be in the pen. 
July 6, 2004 - DAD
Baltimore, MD
I wake up at 6:30 a.m. and toss and turn until 7:15. I then get up and take a shower and do yoga with Bob. We pack up and are on the way to Washington D.C. by 10 a.m. I have only been to Washington once before in 1978 so there have been a "few" changes.
I notice the level of security – that is the biggest difference.  First there is a guard with a dog trained to find explosives. I made a wrong turn and ended up at the entrance to the Pentagon parking lot. Immediately there were two police cars with their drivers watching us closely. From time to time a Black Hawk helicopter would fly over. We spent three hours touring the various memorials and art exhibits and the perimeter of the White House. 
Then it was off to Baltimore and Camden Yards. We met with a group of 13 from the local National Parkinson Foundation at Pickles – a sports bar across the street from Camden Yard. We meet Jeff Shinholt and his family. Jeff is a Parkinsonian who is training to run a marathon in October. I also spend time with Becky Dunlop, an R.N. in Neuology at Johns Hopkins.  
The ballpark was great and the game was entertaining but the support from the people is what remains and resonates with me.  The local Parkinson Chapter donated a night’s lodging at the airport Marriott so we sleep in comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment