Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Boys of Summer book Entry #34

June 19, 2004 - Annamaria
Phoenix, AZ

We left from the Grand Canyon -- we were running late ‘cause Bob wanted a sunrise shot. It was SO COLD!

We stopped at a Jack in the Box in Phoenix to freshen up. It was located in a shady area. The gas station wouldn’t let us use their bathroom. I just got in & out of the Jack in the Box really quickly. I don’t even know if I brushed my teeth...I’d rather have stinky teeth than brush my teeth in a Jack in the Box bathroom.

Chicago Cubs 4, Oakland 3
WP: K. Farnsworth (2-3)   LP: C. Bradford (3-4)

June 20, 2004 - DAD
Phoenix, AZ

We were up before 5 a.m. to catch the sunrise at the Canyon. It was very windy and cold but beautiful. We packed up and were on the road to Phoenix by 6:30. We saw some pretty country along the way. The elevation at the canyon is 6500 feet.

My favorite was the area around Flagstaff-lots of pines and aspen contrasted with red soil. It was about a 4.5 hour trip. We were feeling pretty grubby from camping and it was too early to check in to our motel, so we stopped at a Jack-in-the-Box and used their restrooms to clean up and change clothes. Then it was off to our pre game party at Sliders – a restaurant next to the Bank One Park. The staff were ready for us and very helpful.

Re: Fan Response!
June 20, 2004

Bob,

I have been looking forward to this for quite a while. I wish we would started planning sooner in Phoenix, but I still think it is going to be a good time. We have media interest, and a story ran in today's paper. Having Parkinson's disease at 45, I appreciate everything you are doing. It was a pleasure helping you get this started. As in anything new, you learn how to do it better in the next city. Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Mike O'Leary

No comments:

Post a Comment