Sunday, September 25, 2011

Boys of Summer - Entry #50

Park Number Four (of 30) at Tropicana Field
Toronto 14, Tampa Bay 0 -- PEEEEEEEE EWWWWWW!
WP: M. Batista (7-5)   LP: M. Hendrickson (5-6)
Oakland WINS 7-3 over Anaheim!
LATER...
Dad and I did get up to go pee at about 3 AM. No ‘gators. Not much sleep afterward either, though.
July 2, 2006 - Bob
Oscar Scherer Campground, FL
I’ve said it before - countless times, though I don’t know how much (if at all) I’ve put it in writing. So in Ruthian, calling-my-shot terms, I’m doing so right now: Stephen King and I are connected, I believe. 
I’ve come a long way as an artist and in many ways I’ve been brought along or at least guided by his works. These Dark Tower works (I just completed the sixth, “Song of Susannah”) touch my soul deeply and meaningfully. So what will I do now? Have I, with having made my little video and having met him, served my term? Have I done my complete tour with Ka? My mind (pray not it be my ego alone) says not. 
Methinks there is more work to do. Me feels there is more life and love to share. Earn his trust and respect, treat his words with caution and respect -- for his life is held within them I know that -- I’ve felt that and...I am here.
I am working on a spec script for “The Long Walk”, a story he wrote back in the 70’s under the pen name, Richard Bachman. When I met him in June, he gave me the go-ahead to write a spec version for him. I look forward to getting it to him...and I dread it at the same time. What if he hates it? Oh well...you do your best, kid. 
I am hopeful, too, as we talked a fair bit of baseball at that time. I told him about this journey and he was intrigued. He gave me his contact number in Boston as he is making a particular effort to be at as many games as possible for an upcoming book project he is working on. My hope is the wheel of Ka turns our way and we can meet him for dinner when we’re there next week. 
July 2, 2004 - Dad
Miami, FL
We went to sleep last night to the sights and sounds of very loud thunder and flashes of lightening, followed by very heavy rain.
We are up this morning and on the road early on our way south to Miami where we have a tailgate scheduled.  The National Parkinson Foundation was kind enough to arrange for two rooms for us at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Miami.  This is very nice, especially after our adventure last night.  
At the hotel, we relax until about 4 p.m. when it is time to go to Pro Players Stadium (where the Marlins play). We arrive after stopping at Costco to pick up a cash card donation -- they’ve been great everywhere we’ve been. We have a head count of 29 at our tailgate party -- more than half of them were from NPF.  Pro Player is our first dual purpose facility.  It is also home to the NFL Miami Dolphins. 
Despite being the defending world champs, the Marlins don’t draw very well. Tonight the Marlins lost to Tampa Bay.  Bob and I are interviewed on live Fox Sports TV. We hear later that my nephew, Patrick Cochrane, who is watching TV in Seattle, happens to see the interview.  
July 2, 2004 (LATE PM) - Bob
Miami, FL
It was a great game. Miami is a wonderful place -- SOOOPER hot (and muggy like root beer). Pro Player is not a great baseball stadium -- that’s no secret. But it is a great place to watch a game. The small crowd was very passionate (one year after a championship, one would hope so) and there was a fun, family atmosphere. 
Everywhere one looks in Pro Player, there is football. Even looking at the field, I much more expect to see Dan Marino pitching than Carl Pavano. The Marlins mascot (a Marlin, fittingly enough) seems to have a great time buzzing around the warning track on a yacht on wheels with the cheerleaders (oh yes, they have cheerleaders) tossing t-shirts into the crowd. Good work if you can get it. 
We had a pre game party that was small but fun. Whole Foods was excellent -- chips, water, soda, buns, dogs and condiments -- many, many thanks to them for their donations. My only sadness there was that they (the Whole Foods group) didn’t show up to the game -- it would have been nice to meet them and thank them in person. 
We have a long drive tomorrow and I’m tired already. 
Park Number Five (of 30) at Pro Player Stadium
Tampa Bay 4, Florida 2
 WP: J. Colome (2-1)   LP: C. Pavano (9-3)
Oakland loses 7-3 to the Giants
WP: K Rueter     LP: M Redman 
Tailgate in Miami
July 3, 2004, 11:46 am »
We really enjoyed meeting all of you, yesterday. We couldn't think of a better way to celebrate Nicholas' 2nd birthday. Hannah hopes that Dan enjoys his special rock . We will keep checking in to see how the rest of your trip is going. Take care and be safe.
Heather Tavio and family
P.S. We DID love the music too.

No comments:

Post a Comment