Saturday, September 3, 2011

Boys of Summer book Entry #31

June 18, 2004 - Dan
Las Vegas, NV

There was a good lively crowd at tonight’s game. It was a warm (90+) desert evening. The ball park was a pleasant experience; reasonable prices ($7.50 general admission) and $4.75 beers. The 51’s lost. I am very tired and ready to sleep.

June 18, 2004 - Bob
                                       Las Vegas, NV

We'll be on the road later this morning - it's about 2:15 AM right now.

I've said it time and time again and now I'm being tested on it. This is a faith-based project. We don't have as many things lined up as I wish we did, but somehow I need to trust that they will appear as we do need them.

I have fears - tremendous fears that a number of things we need  simply won't appear and that we will have insurmountable problems. Then what? Then I’ve failed. Then...ugh. I’m not giving this demon anymore space to play right now.

Dad's here and Annamaria will join us tomorrow as we drive to the Grand Canyon. We'll camp there, then roll down to Phoenix for our first MLB game.

It was nice just sitting and watching the 51’s game tonight. I felt relieved to be at a game with my dad as, for better or for worse, we’re on our way. The game went by really quickly.

It was fun having the Paganos be our first father/son interview. They were excellent; very passionate about the game, very knowledgeable and a lot of love between them.

Earlier tonight, I set up the first testimonial shot for Dad and I to talk to the camera about what we were thinking about right before we leave. After breaking one light and watching another fade less than 15 seconds after I had turned it on, we tiredly summed up our evening:

BC: Dad, how are you feeling?

DC: My ribs are a little sore from batting practice.

BC: (laughing) Yeah, we hit a few balls at the batting cages today. I would say right now, I’m overwhelmed. It’s been a long process getting this going. I don’t mean time-wise, I mean work-wise. And now it’s at the point where, you know what? We’ve got to jump. One of those great quotes from Joseph Campbell: “Jump”. Are we all the way ready? No. Do we have all the money we need? No. But it’s time. This is the timetable we set and people are waiting for us. And it’s time to have faith and it’s time to trust that what we’re doing is going to work.

DC: I think it will. I’ve got a good feeling about it. Some way or another, we’re going to come out of this with a real good experience. I’m confident of that.

BC: We talked a lot about what this project means in terms of faith and that’s where we’re at. I’m a strong believe in faith -- that’s funny to phrase it that way...

DC: I think faith is the belief that you have what you need to do what you need to do...something like that was a quote from the guy from Fargo.

BC: William H. Macy?

DC: Yeah, Bill...Bill Macy.

BC: Well, when you’re good friends--

DC: Good friend of mine, Bill Macy.

BC: It makes me feel good hearing dad say he feels good. And that he’s excited. I’m excited, too, and I’ll be ready to release a lot of the frustration elements. There’s a lot of planning to be done still, but I’m really just going to try to focus on enjoying the process of being on the road and enjoying the experience. Going to the games, accepting what comes -- and not just the games but everything in between. The people...

DC: Yeah, the people and being able to be...my hope is that you’re able to clear your mind and clear your path so that you can enjoy the process. My one real concern is that you’ve got an awful lot to do, coordinate and I hope it’s not too big a burden.

BC: I think you set the foundation. And we’ve got a good foundation, a lot of people helping us out, not the least of which is Annamaria. And having her do what she does means a lot to us.

DC: “It’s a good thing”, Martha Stewart. Another quote.

BC: You sure you want to use that one?

DC: Well, we’ll check with her and see if it’s all right.

BC: Thank you, dad, for saying yes to this trip.

DC: Thank you for asking me.

Oakland 2, Chicago Cubs 1
WP: M. Redman (5-3)   LP: M. Clement (7-5)
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment