Saturday, September 24, 2011

Boys of Summer - Entry #49

July 1, 2004
Interviewing Dad
Bob:
What did you hear in the woods?
Dad:
Well, we’re too far south for a Sasquatch. It sounded like it was big and furry and coming at me. But then it didn’t come at me so...I figured it was small and slimy and more like a frog. Probably without teeth. 
Thunder booms above.
Bob:
How do you feel about that thunder?
Dad:
Thunder’s no big deal. It’s always a ways away. The worst I’m going to do is get wet from the following storm.
Bob:
Not worried about the lightning?
Dad:
No. Not worried about the lightning.
Just then, something rattles in the bushes. We look around, but don’t find anything. We agree that’s a good thing. I continue to ask dad questions about Tropicana Field and Enrique when he suddenly stops.
Dad:
There’s another noise back there. (Laughs) Enrique was a really inspirational guy. He’s very enthusiastic and he’s certainly made a wonderful life for himself even though he’s been blind all his life. He sees what a lot of people don’t see who can see. He very much enjoys life and isn’t at all put upon by his condition. It’s a good lesson for me.
Bob:
How are you feeling about your bug bites?
Dad: 
I wish I didn’t have them. They’re pretty aggressive. I was saying earlier I think they’re holding they’re nose and going in for a meal. 
Bob:
How much “Off” do you have on?
Dad:
A double dose and I’ve still been bitten by a couple.
Bob:
How was it being back to baseball today?
Dad:
It’s really good to be back to baseball. I enjoyed the time off, but it’s good to be back to baseball. Today it seemed like it was kind of a blessing that we weren’t distracted by a pre-party, we were just able to enjoy the game. The only distraction and it wasn’t much of one was the television crew who were following us around for a third or half the game. They were very gracious and thorough. It was a bit of a distraction, but a worthwhile one. 
BOB’S TAKE on Tropicana’s All-Access Press passes
Getting to walk through the tunnel, is pretty special. When you walk through the area where the players are right before they take the field, it’s this dark, concrete, enclosed place -- almost tomblike (thunder booms overhead)...and that’s some serious thunder...and as you’re walking through this tomb, you hear the echoes and footsteps. Then you go a little further, you’re looking down at the steps and as you step up, all of a sudden, the field opens up before you. And in my mind, I hear the big dramatic theme music, like from “The Natural” when Robert Redford knocks the stadium lights out. It’s pretty special. 
July 1, 2005 (LATE PM) - Bob
Oscar Scherer Campground, FL
The thunder rocks tonight in this campground. Wow, what a show! There’s lightning popping everywhere. It illuminates the sky. It was a great time doing a video standup for the documentary with all these conditions going wild. It’s important to capture the moments in the moment and we will reflect on them in due time -- for now we are real and true to what is present and that is good.
I’m thirsty but I don’t want to drink too much water ‘cause I don’t want to go out in this crazy weather. Don’t want to visit any of the creatures around us either -- red eyes or not. Just say no to ‘gators.
Once again my faith is being tested here: “We will be safe inside of this tent. The tent is weather (and lightning and ‘gator) resistant. It is all but nature and we are but part of it.
I breathe and it is good. 100 percent.

No comments:

Post a Comment