Friday, November 11, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #89

100% proceeds go to the Michael J Fox Foundation. 

Interviewing my dad, driving from Detroit to Minneapolis
 for the Young Onset Parkinson's Network Conference

RC:
How was it listening to John talk?

DC:
I thought that he seemed a little more introspective. I wouldn’t say depressed. He seemed a little more negative. He seemed to be maybe it was because of the questions he was being asked. He seemed to be spending a little more time on the negative aspects of his life and I know that’s probably not hard to do considering what his life consists of, but...maybe he was just revisiting it and in the daylight it seemed more so. We didn’t spend an awful lot of time talking to him about him last time so that may be the reason it seemed that way to me. But your comment about his sweetness that’s still there. He’s a very nice person. He’s caught in a body that’s not very nice to him.

RC:
How do you feel about the idea of an act of God as a release point for Parkinson’s?

DC:
I think I know what it means -- it means you can’t find any other reason for it. But the implication is that somebody did something to me...somebody named “God” and I don’t think that’s the case. I know I’m being a bit argumentative and fine-pointing it, but that’s what it sounds like to me.

RC:
What is having Parkinson’s to you then?

DC:
It’s just bad luck. Chance. One of those genes tripped the wrong way. And it may or may not have been environmental. I doubt that it’s genetic, but we don’t know that. So I just mark it up to chance.

RC:
So then does it become more important, perhaps, do focus on what you’ll do with it than how you got it?

DC:
Yeah. How I got it is really more important to other people. People who may have it. People who may get it. I’d like for other people to avoid it if it’s possible. The answer to that may be somewhere down the road. Down this road, maybe.

RC:
How do you feel about the trip at this stage -- 19 games in?

DC:
I’m happy we’re headed west. I’ll be happy to be back with Paulette and I certainly will miss the experience. It’s something I’m sure I’m going to think about and reflect on for the rest of my life. It’s a pretty extraordinary thing we’re doing. And the thought of it still seems so.

RC:
How has time felt to you out here?

DC:
At times it goes by very slowly, like driving in the rain yesterday. In difficult situations where traffice is a problem or directions are a problem. But then there are times where it goes by in a blink of an eye Like during a game or a fun meal together, certainly when I’m sleeping. You know I think I’m sleeping as well as I’ve slept in a long time. And I’m guessing it’s because what we’re going through is tiresome.

RC:
You feel like you’re having full days every day?

DC:
Yeah. And that’s good.

RC:
Do you remember Jimmy Valvano’s description of a full day?

DC:
Laugh, cry and...challenge yourself?

RC:
Take time to think.

DC:
Take time to think. Well, I’m not sure I do all of those things every day -- in fact I’m sure I don’t. But they’re in there.  It’s not a bad idea. Not a bad pursuit.

RC:
When was the last time you were moved to tears?

DC:
It wasn’t too long ago. I think it was over when we were at Gary and MaryAnn Mortensens.

RC:
What was it that moved you to tears?

DC:
I’m not sure whether it was something he was doing or something she was saying. I think it was something that MaryAnn said. I can’t remember what it was. It was while we were out in the boat.

RC:
Did it catch you by surprise?

DC:
Apparently.

RC:
Crying is not something you do often.

DC:
Ummm...actually more often all the time. It’s pretty easy for me to cry at a movie or a poignant moment.

RC:
Is that a change for you?

DC:
I think so.

RC:
When did you notice that the tears were more natural for you?

DC:
It may have been through the different circumstances we’ve gone through with Christine. With addiction and certainly with AlAnon. And then reconciling ourselves -- the reconciliation. We were lost for a few years. Those were some very emotional circumstances that touched me.

RC:
Five parks in five days -- what do you think about what we’ve just done?

DC:
A blur -- that’s how I’d describe it.

RC:
What stands out?

DC:
It’s funny -- the one thing that stands out is that chance meeting with those girls (at the gas station) in Pennsylvania.

RC:
What stands out about that?

DC:
Well, I had gone to the bathroom, which was way in the back in a dark area, and when I came out you were talking to them and it was a lot of life and energy which seemed to contrast with -- what was it 3- 4 o’clock in the morning in the middle of nowhere. These young ladies were on the trip similar to ours. They were baseball fans. And they were very full of energy and interested in what we were doing.

RC:
So that was enjoyable?

DC:
Very enjoyable. They were nice people. The whole thing was extraordinary.

RC:
What do you think about Montreal?

DC:
(laughs) Montreal is, I’m sure a better place than I remember it. It has to be. (The rest of Canada) wouldn’t wait for them to secede they’d kick them out if it was what it appeared to be to me.

RC:
Can you spell “west” in French?

DC:
F-U-C-K. Sorry -- Q-U-E-S-T.

RC:
I believe it’s O-U-E-S-T.

DC:
Oh yeah. See there you go. I just love that place. No wonder I couldn’t find my way around, I was looking for the “Q”.

No comments:

Post a Comment