Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #84



July 26, 2004 - BOB

Cooperstown, NY
This is our second change of schedule date -- bolting up to Montreal so that we avoid the one day turnaround to Minnesota. We switched Kansas City until later in the trip, too. It’s going to be wild -- what am I saying? It has been wild. But so far it’s good.
We’re at Cooperstown today. It was great and filled with greatness. There is another huge feeling of those who get it versus those who don’t for me here. The folks at Cooperstown definitely “get it”. 
With their kindness and openness it just makes a world of difference. Something dad said really resonated with me too: different people might get it on certain days and not so much on others. I know I fall into that category. Everyone has that opportunity each day to choose what they will and will not do and how open he will be to the opportunities that present themselves. 
I choose to be open (and for the moment, I’m actually conscious -- cool). 
We may be late to the Montreal game, but that’s okay. They actually are approved to move (we heard) -- leaving Toronto as the one and lonely in Canada. The Expos just couldn’t get it done -- it being generate enough interest, I suppose -- and so it is they’ll be in Washington, D.C. next year. What will the new team be called? Something in memory of the negro leagues? “The Greys”, we heard one man in D.C. suggest. That would be really cool.
Interesting suggestion made by New York Times columnist and one I hadn’t pondered before. Are there a declining numbers of (American) blacks in the game? What does that mean? 

No comments:

Post a Comment