Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #85


INTERVIEWING DAD AT COOPERSTOWN

RC:
Absolutely fantastic. Can’t say enough great things about this place. I’m sorry we didn’t allow more time. But that’s been kind of a recurrent theme for the trip. It’s kind of a sampler plate. It’s beautiful and adventurous to get to all these places -- you get somewhere like this and you see all the little streets and parks and there is just so much to experience but there’s not time because we have to go to a ball game. And the ball game has to be tonight because we have drive back through Canada because we have to get to the Young Onset Parkinson’s conference. It’s a series of dominos tumbling one after the other. I’m not complaining at all. Everything’s a wonderful opportunity. But to have just over an hour here -- time as my sister mentioned back in Dallas, is the one thing you wish you had more of. But I am grateful for the time I have. Grateful for the time that we have.
DC:
This is a little like traveling with my wife Paulette. By the time [Bob] finishes talking there’s nothing left to say. I don’t know what else to say.
RC:
It’s also like traveling with [mom] because we’re sleeping in the same bed. 
(laughs)
DC:
Well, I wasn’t going to talk about that. (laughs) This is a great place. Reggie Jackson was here today and I was happy to see him. This is a trip of a lifetime and it’s a new adventure every day. That’s the happy part. The sad part is that we’re over the hump. We’re over half way done. And it will be the 20th of August before you know it. So that’s the sad part. The happy part of that is going home to see Paulette. 
RC:
Does it almost seem like this trip is a bit timeless? Do you get that feeling?
DC:
When I’m not reflecting or looking forward, it very much seems that way. Which is where I’m trying to stay. I think I’m successful most of the time. 
RC:
One of the things this place reminds me of is greatness. Dennis Eckersley is one we both talked about who certainly carries what it is to be great, in terms of just being dominant. You get a sport where everyone is doing all they can to be successful and then you get a performer who is a cut above. And I don’t know how to describe it -- something/someone who is that great.
DC:
I read a little bit about his acceptance speech. He talked about some of the troubles he’s had in terms of alcohol and women. He seemed like a very focussed or singular person. Whatever he’s involved in, he seems to be able to make it the only thing. That’s probably why he was the kind of dominant performer he was. It’s one thing at a time -- that and his tremendous natural ability. 
RC:
That’s an interesting question. To be almost savant like and have it be a good thing, something else has to lose some focus. It ends up being -- how do you find your balance within the greatness?
DC:
When you’re around people like that, I suppose you have to understand they may not be able to do two, three, four things at a time. They have to find their happiness within their own personality. We all do. 
RC:
What have you done in your life that you have been great at?
DC:
I don’t think I’ve been really great at any one thing. I’ve been pretty good at a lot of things.
RC:
Is that something you think was intentional or more how things turned out?
DC:
Probably a combination. I probably would have had to sacrifice family (to potentially be great in something else). In order to be a great father I probably would have had to have given up some other things. In order to be a great golfer I definitely would have had to have given up some other things. Whether I would have been one had I done those things I’ll never know.
RC:
But the way things lie in the balance now, you feel good?
DC:
Yeah, I feel good. I’m happy with my decisions.
RC:
That’s probably the best sign of all.
DC:
Regrets, I have a few, but then again, too few to mention.

No comments:

Post a Comment