Monday, November 28, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #102

100% proceeds go to the Michael J Fox Foundation. 

Aug. 11, 2004 - Bob
Walnut Creek, CA

Got just a few hours of sleep and woke to the news that my grandfather (dad’s dad) is in the hospital with encephalitis. Apparently it’s quite painful, but not life threatening. This, on top of mom’s health, has really made for a pleasant “wake up and smell the OJ” morning.

Dad and I talk about the practical measures -- are we going to the A’s game today? I feel almost silly asking. Our schedule has us going to the game, then immediately rolling out to Seattle so we can catch our afternoon game there tomorrow (big crowd and big party waiting).

But, in light of everything going on...

Dad decides the A’s game today is a good idea. I’m really glad. I’m hoping this will provide him and I with a little familiar smile. This is our home park. These are our beloved A’s. Jonny O  is covering the game for the local newspaper and maybe we’ll get to see him at the game. The A’s have provided excellent tickets for us (thank you, Detra Page).

So we go...
Aug. 11, 2004 - Dad
Walnut Creek, CA

The next day Bob and I go to the Oakland game and I have to admit I don't think my heart was in it. On top of that the A's got blown out.
Bob:

ONE GAME. We get to see “our boys” for ONE GAME out of the thirty-two we’ve seen (including the AAA in Vegas and the extra game in Houston) and what do they do? Nada. Zip. Three runs of worthlessness vs. 11 TITANIC BOMBS BY THE TIGERS!! Dramatized? Sure. That’s just how it feels.

Jonny O says this is perhaps the worst game they’ve played all year. Glad to be on board, fellas.

We leave early from a game for just the second time on this trip and, though I hate doing it, I think it is the right decision. We’ve got this roadie to Seattle -- a 12-hour jaunt -- staring us dead in the chops and the mental state (for any of us) was not strong to begin with today. As of right now we (and that includes Mom and Emma) are going...I hope that’s the case when we get home.


Park Number 28 (of 30), Networks Associates Coliseum

Detroit 11, Oakland 3
WP: W. Ledezma (2-0)   LP: M. Redman (8-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment