Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #97

Colorado Rockies Rockies Manager approaches us. He's a big man with an even bigger smile. He puts out his hand to shake with Dan.

CH: 
Clint Hurdle.
My dad takes his hand.
DC:
Dan Cochrane.
CH:
Dan, how are you?
DC:
Pretty good, thank you.
CH:
What stop are we on your list?
RC:
This is number 24.
CH:
Robert, you’re in charge?
RC:
Yeah. We just decided, with dad having Parkinson’s, we had to do this trip now because we could.
CH:
That’s great. I have a daughter with special needs. I know how challenging times can be but also how much opportunity comes with those challenges.
DC:
There you go.
RC:
You get that sense of urgency, right?
CH:
Sure. Like you’ve never had before. When you have something at stake...(He nods in acknowledgment, then looks at my dad’s Boston Red Sox hat) I think the world of what you’re doing, but I don’t know what we can do about that hat. (He puts his arm around my dad’s shoulder). I got these Cubs fans screaming at us and you’re wearing a Red Sox hat. (My dad turns the hat around). 
DC:
Is this better?
CH:
Yeah. I like that better. Look I wish you nothing but safe travels. God bless you both. Thanks for your testimony. Is there anything else we can do for you while you’re here?
DC: 
No. Everyone has been wonderful to us. Thank you.
RC:
Thank you.
Park Number 24 (of 30), Coors Field
Chicago Cubs 5, Colorado 1
 WP: M. Prior (3-2)   LP: J. Jennings (10-9) 
NY Yanks 5, Oakland 1

No comments:

Post a Comment