Sunday, November 27, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #101


August 10, 2004 - Dad
Anaheim, CA

At this point my thoughts kept returning to Walnut Creek and Paulette. I was not sure what to expect but indications were that she was not doing well. Before the Anaheim game we had a great meal and gathering at the local BJ's. The pizza was great. The Big "A" is a very nice park and there was a good crowd on hand for a beautiful summer evening.
Park Number 27 (of 30), Angel Stadium

Baltimore 11, Anaheim 3
WP: D. Cabrera (9-5)   LP: A. Sele (7-1)

Oak 5, Det 4 -- woo hoo!

Aug. 11, Oakland - Bob
Walnut Creek, CA

We made it home at about 4 AM -- just about 6 hours from Anaheim; not bad time. We stopped for an ice cream or two on the way -- dad has developed a SERIOUS sweet tooth.

We have a running bet on who’s going to greet us first as we come through the door. I thought it would be our dog, Emma. Dad thought it would be mom.

We opened the door and it is...mom by a hair -- nice watch-doggin’, Emma. The poor little mop actually fell off the bed and thumped against the wall. Grace was never her strong suit.

The reunion with mom was bittersweet. She’s very happy and yet obviously in pain. Listening to her cry as she held my dad broke my heart. I knew this had been hard on her. I knew it was hard on my dad in some ways, too.

I began to question if this whole thing was really worth it.

Of course it was, a side of me argued. This was a dream come true for Dad and me and mom signed off on it.

But at what cost?

That’s something I don’t think I’ll ever know. It simply is what it is. We made a decision to do this, each of us. It was heavily discussed and agreed upon, despite the risks. The timing simply was what it was and now is what it is. Now -- right now -- is all we have.

A friend once told me, “you may not get everything you pay for, but you’ll pay for everything you’ll get.”
August 10, 2004 - Dad
Walnut Creek, CA

The drive from Los Angeles to Walnut Creek is a very familiar one and despite being tired from a long day, it goes very quickly. We arrive home at __am and are greeted by our dog, Emma and down the hall, Paulette. It is good to be home but difficult to face the fact that Paulette continues to struggle with depression. I know from past experience that it dose not affect her if I'm there or not. Depression is a very isolating condition.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment