Monday, November 7, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #83.1


RC:
All right, the ticket situation is resolved. We got our tickets on the inside (of Jacob’s Field) after making a few phone calls. Earlier, as I was waiting in line (to try to get our tickets), there are three windows available for the will-call. So I’m waiting in line for any of the three windows to open up. I’m the only person in line. (I’ve been waiting a while and I’m a bit irritated as I’ve already gotten the run around. This is my second time here.) Then a few other people come up and start to line up next to me and I tell them, excuse me, I’m in line here so I could make sure which ever window opened first I’d be able to go there as I’d been waiting the longest. Some people were kind of here and there with that, saying to me, “are you in this line or are you not”. I respond “Yes I am. I’m waiting for any of these windows to open up.”

And then a lady from the Indians staff comes up and starts to put people into other lines and I said, “Excuse me I’m waiting.” And she said, “Well you need to pick a line.” And I said, “Well, if I pick a line and one of these people goes in front of me to another window that opens that I didn’t pick, then just because I picked the wrong line now I’m going be waiting longer than the person who showed up after me. So if I have one line, that feeds all three windows, it ensures the person who got there first would be the first one to be helped”. And she said, “Yeah but there’s three lines”. Which I enjoyed.

DC:
The world’s not perfect.

RC:
It’s not about it being perfect. There’s a simple solution and it’s not being used for some reason.

DC:
That’s because the world’s not perfect.

RC:
Anything else?

DC:
That’s it.

Park Number 17 (of 30), Jacobs Field

Cleveland 4, Kansas City 3
 WP: M. Miller (3-1)   LP: S. Sullivan (3-3)

Oak 6, Tex 2

July 25, 2004 - DAD
Max V. Shaul State Park, NY

We stop for gas in the middle of the night in the mountains of Pennsylvania. I return to the car and find Bob interviewing five young ladies – recent college graduates who are returning from a cross country trip.  They are all baseball fans so Bob leads them in an energetic version of "Take me out to the Ballgame."  We wish each other a safe trip and say goodbye. 

Later we would wonder if we dreamed the whole thing up – I’m not sure.  We arrive at Bob’s friend from Caesars Palace, Jen, who shares a two bedroom, one bath apartment in Queens, at about 6 a.m. We blow up the mattress and sleep on the kitchen floor until about 10 a.m. 

Breakfast is at Burger King across the street where there was some shouting by a couple of unhappy customers. We are just one block from the subway that will take us to Shea Stadium. Bob is able to get us media passes so we get a real good look at the facilities.  We watch a very exciting game between the Mets and the Braves.

After the game, we take the train back to where the Explorer has been parked for 12 hours and find it untouched. We load up and drive 160 miles to Albany after a brief stop at Yankee Stadium to shoot some video we missed the first time through. We stop at the Kinko’s in Albany for an hour and a half then are off to find a campsite. Our direction is west towards Cooperstown, where we find "Max V. Shaul" State Park shortly after midnight.  We set up camp and are sleeping in record time.

No comments:

Post a Comment