Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Entry #8

April 1, 2004 - Bob
Las Vegas, NV

I re-watched an inspirational documentary called "Pop and Me" last night. I first saw it in 2001 and, though the relationship between the father and son is quite a bit different than the one my dad and I share, I very much enjoyed it. 

The thing “Pop and Me” did very well was stick to the human emotion of the father/son round the world adventure. I’m sure there were a ton of great stories about the amazing places they went that never got shown. But those places were just the backdrop -- just as the stadiums are for us. The story is in the emotion, the humanity and in the people we will meet.

I have a meeting on Friday with the people who run the Fremont St. Experience. I'm planning on getting food, drink and game tickets donated and charging, say, $20 a head. The transportation and rental of the space on Fremont St. look like they are going to have to be paid for.

I spent much of this morning talking to various food companies. Food donations are looking strong. I'm waiting on my official letter from the National Parkinson Foundation. With it, I will put together a package that I can send out to all the fence-sitters right now and perhaps get them to lean to our side. I'm going to need someone to come up with some cash for us at some point...I'm not too worried about it just yet. I feel this project has good roots and will sprout good fruit. 

The Major League Baseball season opened today. The Oakland A’s earned their first “W”:

Oakland 5, Texas 4 -- Woo hoo!
WP: C. Bradford (1-0)   LP: J. Nelson (0-1)

Every year’s different and I’m not sure what to make of this year’s A’s. I’m excited and hopeful, even with the loss of Miggy at short. They still have “the big three” on the mound and Rich Harden is continuing to develop. They’ll be in the mix. As the season begins, hope springs eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment