Thursday, August 4, 2011

Entry #10

April 8, 2004 - Bob
Las Vegas, NV

Along with the letter from the National Parkinson Foundation (according to Pamela Palma, the "'s" at the end of Parkinson is improper, just as one wouldn't say "Cancer's"), we have clearance from the front office of Major League Baseball to shoot in the parks (pending each of the individual team’s okay) and a tentative interview with an executive from the Michael J. Fox foundation. 

I've been faxing out updated info to all the clubs. I think they'll all feel more confident in helping out where they can now that they see the official backing of the NPF and MLB.

I have a meeting tomorrow slated with the officials here in Las Vegas for our tailgate/fundraiser at the Fremont St. Experience. 

I have contacted several vendors and will continue to be on them diligently as I know these things can slip through the cracks otherwise. 

I'm also beginning to read former New York Yankee Paul O'Neil's "Me and My Dad". From the outset, it looks like a great and very emotional read. Hopefully I'll get to watch "Boys of Summer" (the original documentary about the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1950’s) tonight. 

No A’s game today. They’re 2-1 after their series with the Rangers.

April 15, 2004 - Bob
Las Vegas, NV

Dear Dad,

I appreciate your enthusiasm to do more with Boys of Summer. Please ask if you ever feel like you have time and need something more to do -- we have tons!

I understand what you're saying in terms of not liking to ask for things from others. It's always been a stumbling block for me in terms of marketing and fund-raising. However, I think the old sales approach that we are not “asking for” as much as we are offering opportunity really applies here. Everyone (in my book) wants to help out his/her fellow man/woman when the presentation is correct.

What we are doing has great roots because it is nonprofit and with proceeds going directly to a reputable charity that affects a great number of people. Obviously, we have the personal angle with that. In approaching MLB teams, they seem very happy to help -- only cautious to make sure what they are supporting is what it says it is (protecting their reputation). I think it's the same with corporations. People do want to help. We have to ask - that’s our burden. 

That being said, I have a new idea for a fundraiser. In "Field of Dreams" (once again using that flick as inspiration), they saved the farm at the last minute by having faith people would show up and pay $20 apiece to see the field. Well, my idea is to draft a letter and put it out there on every level we can (e-mail, radio, TV, newspaper, etc.) that asks people to contribute a $20 tax deductible donation to the project. If we get 2500 people to do that (and that's really not that many), we'll have our budget. 

As for you, how about mapping our route? I've logged approximate info like miles between stops, but it would be good if you could do a more specific breakdown. 

I am working on pre-trip tailgate parties in Vegas and Oakland (I have semi-approval from both clubs). 

Annamaria and I visited Dodger Stadium and the Dodger offices yesterday. They were very kind. We fax'd them and the Angels the necessary info last night. The Padres have the info and are going over it. I honestly feel pretty good about the MLB teams  (mostly because of the MLB office approval and the wonderful letter from NPF).

I will draft a letter for what I'm proposing (in terms of getting people to donate) and I'm cutting a video trailer (that we may be able to package as a commercial, if any local TV stations will donate some air time) and an audio trailer for radio. We can have them play our spot before we come to town and also include that people can donate to NPF in our name if they can't make it out to the game. I could see the media really jumping on this. 

I hope this isn't too chaotic a letter -- I just got off the set of “Miss Congeniality 2” and my mind is working a million miles a second (something new). 

I'll call you later and we can talk more. 

I love you,

Bob

Go A's!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment