Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Entry #15

April 27, 2004
Dan’s Letter to NPF

Mary Ann:

Bob forwarded your e-mail to me and asked that I respond regarding my personal information. I am 59 years old and have been married for almost 38 years to my wife, Paulette. We have two children: Christine, 36, lives in Carrolton, Texas and Bob, who you know.
I went to my doctor in June 2001 because I seemed to be losing dexterity in my left hand.  After a brief examination, my doctor told me that she was referring me to a neurologist. I thought, “Great, I'm going to get some real expert answers.” My doctor asked me as kind of an after thought, was there any family history of Parkinson's. I kind of laughed and said I was not aware of any and did not think any more about it.

A month later I met with my neurologist. After a brief examination he told me he was quite sure I had Parkinson's. He ordered a series of tests that would rule out most of the other possibilities, and they did. He told me that it was not possible to predict the progress of the disease. He said I could be in a wheelchair within a year or maybe it would be 30 years.

He started me off on a low dose of Mirapex and I am now up to the maximum effective dosage of 1.5 MG, three times a day. The same week that I was diagnosed with Parkinson's my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. I decided that because I seemed to be having greater difficulty handling the stress and because of the treatment process my wife was going to be going through that I would take a leave of absence from my job. I was a municipal bond underwriter and trader. The firm that I worked for would have to hire someone to fill my position unless I could promise them a date  for my return. I could not and recommended that they hire someone to replace me. I don't expect to try to go back to work.
My neurologist told me at our last meeting a little over a month ago that I was still in stage one of Parkinson's. I was encouraged and asked him if that meant that the pace of progression would continue to be slow. He said not necessarily; the supply of dopamine is like a canister of flour. You just keep using it until the canister is empty and then one day there is none.

I feel fortunate that the symptoms are not speeding in their progress. My golf handicap has gone from 13 to 22. I've gone from walking and carrying my clubs easily to walking with some difficulty with my clubs on a cart. Everything takes a little longer and at times people have difficulty understanding what I'm trying to say. Swallowing food is more difficult and my neurologist says maybe I should give up the idea of playing piano for a living.

When Bob came to me with his idea of making a documentary combining baseball, a two month road trip and living with Parkinson's I had very mixed emotions. I knew it would take a lot of planning, work and money and the there was the question of how this would affect my wife. We have never been apart for two weeks not to mention two months. The three of us discussed the idea and assured Paulette that she could join us when she wants to on the tour. After a reluctant approval she has become extremely enthusiastic and my enthusiasm has taken a big jump.

Bob will give you his resume and I think you will be impressed by his accomplishments. What it will not say is what a fine person he is. He is bright, enthusiastic, hard working and very passionate about his crafts. I don't think you will find a nicer person to associate with.

If you have any further questions about me please fell free to ask. I look forward to working in association with you. Hopefully we will meet one day and that day drink a toast to having found a cure for Parkinson's.

Dan Cochrane

New York Yankees 10, Oakland 8
WP: D. Osborne (1-0)   LP: J. Mecir (0-2)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment