Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Entry #22

May 24, 2004 - Dan
Walnut Creek, CA

This was our kickoff fundraiser "A day with the A's" which involved a tailgate party and game (A's vs. the Royals). We had 107 friends and relatives sign up and most everyone was there. It was a great day in every respect. The weather was ideal. The food turned out great. The game was exciting, A's won in the bottom of the 10th. Most of all we had a wonderful group. Everyone was very interested in and enthusiastic about the Boys of Summer project. The love and support that Bob and I felt was very energizing. If that was not enough we were surprised by our daughter, Christine, who flew in form Dallas to complete our family.

The day was a success financially, but it was even more of an emotional success. I am very much looking forward to the start of our journey. 

May 24, 2004 - Bob
Fundraiser I in Oakland

It is Sunday night -- technically Monday morning. I feel like it's time to go to bed, but not before I say some things that need be said about this day.

Wow. Amazing. Beautiful.

I'm reminded of how inadequate language can sometimes be in describing things. I will be posting pictures and a video clip up on the web site very soon. Maybe that will help.

I don't want to just laundry list the day’s events as it won’t do justice to the magic of it. We came together, a group of over 100 of us, and we shared an experience. Based on love, respect and the desire to be part of something communal that we all deem to be important, we shaped today into something special.

When I think about this being just the beginning of things (in many ways the tip of the tip of the iceberg) I am blown away.

* I got to see my dad genuinely smile today in a most wonderful way several times. His happiness and state of being was a great joy to be around. We shared memories, we shared presence and we played catch.

* When my sister surprised us all by showing up with her partner Migdalia, I nearly killed myself hurdling a solid concrete divider to give her a hug. Hurdles were my sport in high school but, amazingly enough, high school wasn’t yesterday anymore. My sis told me after reading one of dad's journal entries she suddenly realized  she had to come.

Life, health and economy are similar in that they all rely upon movement in order to remain healthy. In the same way we flush and cleanse our bodies by drinking water (promoting movement and cleansing), the economy relies on money moving in order to remain healthy.

One of the things that Dad and I talked about was the idea that people, generally, do want to give and do want to help. More often than not, however, they don't know how to do so in a manner that makes them feel like what they're doing is a good thing. So then, the person or group that organizes something in the name of the common good and makes it easy to give becomes the facilitator of such good will and, in essence, helps movement.

We are providing a service for people -- and we are neither above nor beneath the group we are serving; we are one with them. We all rely upon each other to lift up that which we all believe in.

“Thank you” hardly seems adequate, but I offer it in kind to all those who made this first fundraiser such a success.

Oakland 3, Kansas City 2
WP: A. Rhodes (1-1)   LP: N. Field (2-1)

Annamaria:

Bob’s parents did a lot of the work when it came to coordinating -- they have wonderful friends. We got a lot of things donated, which was helpful. I always loved coming up to the bay. It was so nice getting all this support. It was nice for Dan and Bob though I was sad Bob’s friends didn’t show up at the tailgate (though they did stop by and very generously contributed later at Bob’s parents house).

I was really hoping people understood what this fundraiser was about. It wasn’t just a party -- it was for this amazing adventure Bob and Dan are going on. It was about supporting a trip and a movie that both support Parkinson’s Disease. I had a feeling some of the people couldn’t see what we were seeing. Some people just don’t get it. More than just giving money, I wanted people to tell others about what we were up to. Ask questions. Get involved.

It was really sweet seeing Bob and his dad together. Sometimes I watch them and I think how sad it is that Dan has Parkinson’s. It reminds me to give thanks -- it’s important to enjoy your family now. Dan’s still pretty healthy, thankfully. He still knows how to have a good time. By the way, Paulette makes amazing brownies.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment