Friday, August 5, 2011

Entry #11

April 15, 2004
Letter from Mike O’Leary, Parkinsonian
Phoenix, AZ

Hi Dan,

It was nice getting your letter, although I am not sure if you like what I had suggested or not. The idea of having a Parkinson's awareness night at the ball park came from the lady who is coordinating our conference in Minneapolis.  The last day of the Young Onset Parkinson conference is 8/1 and the Twins are giving discount tickets to Parkinson's patients and designating the game as Parkinson's Awareness Day. I am on the planning committee for that conference. I had intended to contact the Diamondbacks and seeing about some publicity of that sort, because I am coordinating the 2005 conference here in Phoenix.

On the subject of conferences, we normally have some sort of time in which we have people tell their stories or experiences. Would you and/or your son be interested in telling your story at our 2005 conference? No definite answer needed right now, just keeping a file on our possible speakers.

As for my story, my symptoms are about like yours. I still play some golf but 18 holes walking with my bag over my shoulder has changed to 9 holes in a cart. My friend(who has Parkinson's) and I tried to play racket ball the other day. My eyes saw the ball, my mind said "move feet and get the ball," my feet were just a little reluctant to follow the brains orders. It was fun, you have to be able to laugh at it, or it will get you. I was diagnosed at 42, and it was a rough one. I have since found that the Parkinson's community is like a family to me, and I care for and love each one like my own brother or sister.

Looking forward to meeting you,

     Michael O'Leary

April 15, 2004 - Dan 
Walnut Creek, CA

I wrote Mike back to say we would be interested in participating in the Parkinson's Awareness Day subject to our schedule. I also told him I was interested in the conference he will be coordinating in 2005. 

Finally I'm sending our old 8 mm film off and I just wanted to insure that the format you want is MiniDV, right?

Love always,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment