Friday, January 27, 2012

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #153

Walnut Creek, CA

Mom and Dad took our doc to the Palm Beach Film Festival. Due to financial and job constraints, I am unable to attend. I hate not being there for it, but I can't just chase something with no money (I've done that long enough!). This "getting married" thing is happening in about five months and it's causing me to get my financial house in order. That's a good thing and it's a sacrifice -- my freedom to just come and go as I please. I feel a bit like I'm saying g'bye to Peter Pan.

April 20, 2006 - Mom
Palm Beach, FL
When we arrived we had a hard time finding anyone involved with the festival. We finally got some information then went to the opening night gala. We saw everybody involved with the festival there. We saw the screening and how everyone was handing out the cards. I was listening to everybody. I wasn’t really sure what I was supposed to be doing. 
April 22, 2006 - Mom
Palm Beach, FL
The big problem was that our movie was shown at a bad time. My heart was broken because not very many people showed up. I saw other films that were good, but they weren’t better than ours.  
I was so sad that there were like 8 people for our screening. We didn't hand out enough cards or talk to enough people. What more could I have done? I had never been to one of these -- so I didn’t know what else to do. Dad’s shy about talking to people. I really got to see the difficulty of marketing first hand and it’s very frustrating. How do you convince someone you have a good product? You can’t drag them in.
Right before our movie was a movie about India and they had TONS of family, relatives and it was a huge group. I wished we were at Seattle or somewhere where we’d have support like that. But then you had 500+ in AZ. All in all, the whole festival seemed very disorganized, poorly put together. There was no support. It was spread so wide. We went to two other screenings and there was hardly anyone in them either. 
I did get to meet Mary Ann Sprinkle at the screening. I was so happy to meet her. She’s a wonderful lady and has done so much for Bob and Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment