Thursday, January 26, 2012

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #152


April 3, 2006
Robert, 
I saw your documentary in Phoenix and it blew me away. Like you, my best connection with my Father (and Brother) came through baseball. My Dad started playing catch with me and taking me to baseball games when I was 8 yrs. old. And, he died when I was 11 and my brother was 5. I passed along a love of baseball to my brother which we share to this day. I'm 56 and my little brother is 50. Thank you for another thing baseball we can share! 
Best Wishes, 
Hank
Reviews from imdb.com:
A Father and Son Odyssey to Baseball Parks, raising awareness of Parkinson Disease. 
March 31, 2006
Author: boyerpk from Phoenix, AZ 
This film touched my heart and brought back memories of sharing good times with my parents. As a film patron, I look forward to the general release of this film, as the story is entertaining as well as educational. The wide release would not only raise knowledge about Parkinson Disease but would raise funds for Parkinson research. The every day trials were fun to watch, the sense of humor of both men was priceless. There is much to be learned from these fellows and the way they handled disappointment and triumphs. The public embraced them and that was heartwarming. It is America at its finest -baseball- as our national pastime. And being able to share it with someone you love is priceless. My wish for all would be for everyone to experience one day with a parent and enjoy the day. This film celebrates the America in all of us.
*********
Baseball, Apple Pie, Fathers & Sons 
April 1, 2006
Author: jzatarski from Phoenix, Arizona 
Boys of Summer, a Father & his Son - Who wouldn't want the opportunity to tour all of the Major League baseball parks? Yes, as baseball fans it sounds like the ultimate road trip. But what if the reason for going is not the reason you expect.
Some of us have been to many of the big league stadiums. We may have gone to our favorite park as youngsters with our Dads, we may have gone to the ball game while on an out-of-town business trip - or better yet on vacation.
Yet the road trip this son and his father took was unique. Unique in the way they met the challenge of the father's medical condition and the son's quest to make the trip financially feasible. The cause they were on as they skipped across the USA and into Canada one ideal summer.
While watching the Boys of Summer, I thought back to the time my father was alive and wish that something like this would have been possible for us to do. But like the song, the time is never there when you need it so that the commitment that was made was an impossible dream.
You will really find yourself involved in this journey of a son and his father. Even my non-sports wife found the opportunity to share their adventure - a dream in the making. You wondered if they would ever be able to make all the professional ball parks and not run out of money.
But those key observations made along the way - the interviews with the fans and the new friends made along the way - will make seeing this movie a perfect opportunity for all of us to share in the wonderful game, the families that enjoy it, and a father & son who know that the road traveled together is the best world to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment