Monday, January 2, 2012

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #130

Our first review:

From www.athleticsnation.com
Written by Devo



...I saw it at its first public screening. It is quite excellent...

...After a quick trip to the gym, I was off to Concord, to watch an excellent film of a son and his dad, finally finding the time they never had and visiting all 30 ballparks in 60 days. It was an excellent and touching film. I don't want to give away too much of the film, because, as our own Princemilo mentioned, coming into a film without expectations is crucial to truly appreciating the art. I can't not mention one excellent directoral choice. Through 30 games in 28 cities in an hour and a half long film, not a single moment depicted Major League Baseball being played. There's a tremendous power in what is not shown. It was actually the key theme in the student film I made a couple of years back. In this case, it pointed to the key theme of what Princemilo was very clear to point out was a baseball movie - and that was, it was not about baseball. It was about living life and about the relationships that we can find, develop, and fully enjoy. We can sit on our asses and let life drag us into what is convenient or we can really live. Hopefully this film can encourage more of us to do so before lives start being taken away from us.

Bob’s note: Yes, that would be me playing the part and displaying the screen name of “Princemilo”.

June 12, 2005 - Dad
Walnut Creek, CA

I generally don't like being the center of attention. So I was anxious about that prospect. As I think I've stated before, I am a bit surprised seeing (on the screen) how Parkinson's has affected my movement and expressions. So this was going to be a "total emersion" into a view of my disease. Not much of a surprise to anyone who had been around me for the past year but a bit of a shock to me.

I don't think I had seen any of the video up to that point so I was very excited to see what Bob had come up with. I knew we had a good turnout for the screening. The crowd seemed to be all family or friends so I did not think we would get a very objective reaction. As it turned out, from a physical quality point of view, the film was not as clear as some of Bob’s other work. I know a large part of that had to do with the lighting or lack of darkness in the facility. I felt very proud of the job Bob did. There was so much experience and film to distill into a marketable project. I was sorry that Bob Bronson was left out.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment