Sunday, January 15, 2012

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #142


Feb. 22, 2006 - Bob
Riverside, CA

The screening was at a nice theater in Riverside where they show widely released films. It’s a great environment to be seen in because it helps legitimize the film in the audiences eye. If they could be seeing Tom Cruise in the theater just next door, it ups the perceived value of the one they’re watching.

The crowd was small -- about 25 -- but very appreciative. No one from any distribution/production company introduced themselves to us. That doesn’t mean none of them were there -- they could have been there and really disliked the film or (happy thought) may have been given instruction to just bring their notes back to the office. Yeah, I like that last one.

Our host, Nancy Douglas and the staff at the festival couldn’t have been nicer. It’s a nice feeling to be on the inside of a good festival with a budget that can do things like pay for a hotel room for us. We stayed at the historic Mission Inn, by the way and it was beautiful.

On the drive back I got a call from a woman named Joyce who identified herself as a representative from Sheen/Estevez productions. My mind did a quick twirl. Ah yes! I sent them an invite as Martin has spoken glowingly about his sons numerous times. Charlie has done his baseball work in the Major League series and Eight Men Out and Emilio’s always been an actor I’ve enjoyed, plus I heard he’d been getting into writing/directing.

She asked me what my plans with the film were. I explained, saying the highest good for the film is money in the Parkinson groups hands and awareness in the public’s eyes. She asked if I had ever thought of seeing it as feature or movie of the week project. That really caught me off guard as I hadn’t. But if that was there interest...

She asked for a copy of the film. I went to a duplication house I knew in L.A., got a copy run off immediately and had it sent over.

What would be next? I know better than to sit around and wait. But it was fun getting the call.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment