Thursday, January 12, 2012

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #139

Park City, UT
We check in with our screening venue, the Salt Lake City Jewish Community Center. It's a gorgeous spot overlooking the Salt Lake City valley on the northeast side of the University of Utah. The staff at the JCC are fantastic. 
We go over to the university and meet up with Sylinda Lee, the head of the American Parkinson Disease Association in Salt Lake City. She was very excited about our project and gave us the number of Steven Wells, a local musician and Parkinsonian who has a festival on behalf of Parkinson Disease every year. 
We go to a few sports bars in downtown SLC and they are friendly to having us leave flyers.
January 24, 2006 - Bob
Park City, UT
Tuesday we hit the streets of Park City - trolling up and down Main Street. It's obvious right away that putting up our beautiful posters would be a waste of time, energy and money as everyone's posters cover everyone else's within 5 minutes of posting (no joke). The extremely limited posting areas are literally 50 to 100 deep within minutes. I’ve done this drill a few times before here. It starts with people being respectful, just putting up one of theirs so there’s room for others. Then someone puts up a couple of theirs to try to generate more space (louder voice, more eyes/buzz, etc.). Then someone covers someone else’s. Then the person who got theirs covers covers the person who covers theirs. Then someone gets frustrated and puts up a wall full of theirs so as to cover everyone's. I think it’d be better if everyone just got in a big circle and started peeing on each other.  
So we hit up a few local lounges (because, really, being a bar is so passé’) and get very positive responses. A local radio station calls and says they'd like me to do a call-in radio interview with them on Wednesday morning. Nice.
Tuesday night, while having a private screening for our hosts who let us stay with them at their condo, I noticed a technical glitch. I tried the back up DVD -- same problem. Uh oh. I worked every angle I could -- using three different DVD players -- and got the same result: Bad DVDs. I should know better than not to have a miniDV backup, but, on this occasion, I don't. Damn. This is near panic time -- everything I've worked for...
I remember my sis has a copy and she says she'll overnight it to me on Wednesday -- problem is, the screening is Wednesday and the overnight won't get to us until Thursday. I don’t want to freak out, but the slow train toward freakoutsville is rolling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment