Thursday, January 5, 2012

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #133


Two more letters of recommendation for our movie:

Domino’s Pizza
Sept. 13, 2005
Robert,
I apologize in my delayed response to you. I have been traveling quite a bit lately and didn’t have a chance to watch the DVD you sent me until this weekend.
I have to tell you that I was extremely moved by it. It has made me have a whole new appreciation for my dad and the relationship I have with him. Your film made me want to spend more time with him. 
You and your family are truly special. I fell in love with your Dad watching the documentary. I feel like I know each of you after watching your two-month adventure unfold. You have captured and told a very special story. 
I really liked how you thread the story together with shots of you and your dad playing catch. I also really liked how you wove in stories from other people while you were on the road, some about baseball and some about their experiences with Parkinson’s Disease.
Thank you very much for including Domino’s several times...I wish more people would have shown up for the tailgate in Detroit, but at least you and your dad had some warm food to keep you going. Hopefully the gift certificates came in handy throughout your journal. 
Also, that was a great picture at the end in a  Domino’s store. That was really nice of you to include your sponsors at the end in the way that you did with the short vignettes and pictures. We are honored that you selected a photo of Domino’s Pizza. 
Also, thank you for including me in your credits. You certainly didn’t have to do that...including Domino’s would have been plenty...but it is greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for sending me the DVD for an advanced screening. I feel very honored and privileged to have seen it before it hits the big screen.
Sincerely,
Holly Ryan
Domino’s Pizza Corporate Communications

**********************************************
Fox Sports
To Whom It May Concern,
I am writing to lend my support to a wonderful film called, “Boys of Summer.” I believe this piece is both necessary and timely for a disease that has affected do many in this country. It is a film about a journey a father and son take across the country to raise money and awareness for Parkinson’s Disease. Their trip takes them through this land as they follow their own baseball schedule, enjoying stadiums in far away places for the first time. What strikes me about this film is the love these two men share. It can be found in their cross-country conversations, or during a roadside game of catch, or their spontaneous hugs and kisses. It hit home with me because I traveled the same path with my dad late in his life.
My father, Jack Buck, was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in the early 90’s, just about the time I joined him in the Cardinal’s broadcast booth. I saw first hand how this terrible disease can cripple a human being who is otherwise in good health. The frustrations and difficulties which follow make the simplest things, like buttoning a shirt in the morning, so tough and sometimes humiliating. These two central figures keep the pedal to the metal as they keep late hours driving from city to city and ballpark to ballpark learning more about each other with every mile.
My understanding is that there has been remarkable progress made toward a cure for this affliction. If that is the case, what better way to send out the message that more can be done, while at the same time reminding everyone of the special healing nature of the great game of baseball. The smiles the two men share as they walk into a stadium for the first time are priceless, and the generosity shown by so many inside Major League Baseball will make those involved in the sport proud. This is a neat film, with a great message that needs to be heard. Thank you for your time...
Joe Buck
Fox Sports

No comments:

Post a Comment