Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #131


I’ve screened here once before -- about five years ago with my first film, “Emotionally Retarded” (a.k.a.: “Trippin’ in the Dark”, “The Best Man” and “All or Nothing”. Why all the name changes? Another story for another day.). It’s a very cozy small room and I remember being very impressed with the image quality and sound. The only question down here is whether or not we’re going to have much of a crowd. It’s L.A. and everybody has screenings, it seems. Having your own film is not nearly the novel concept here it is in other cities -- go figure.

I accomplished most of what I wanted to last week, anyway. I know the film “works” on a basic level and, at the same time, I know there are a few things to work out. This crowd, though, should be less biased (not my home town or home high school) and more comfortable (theater seats, great screen and sound). Yin yang, let it bang.

One of my very good friends (who, along with his father, is also in the film), Jason Teresi shows up with his lovely wife, Leigh, and his baby boy (decked out in Cubs gear), Jake.

Another person who shows is my screenwriting mentor from my days at UCLA, Robin Russin. It always makes me feel good to have him show up because I know he’ll pull no punches.

So, with about 25 people in, we roll the tape. There are laughs at the right moments and some good moments of true silence where you can actually hear the subtle nod of acknowledgment. Knowing I’ve made a connection with the audience is truly gratifying. It’s getting more laughs than I even thought it would. That’s largely because of my dad. I’ve always told people he’s one of the funniest people I know, but you have to listen. His comments are very dry and (now more than ever because of his Parkinson’s) very quiet.

We have a good Q&A session and everyone is kind enough to fill out comment cards, too. Predictably, Jason’s main complaint is there wasn’t enough about the Cubs in the movie.

Tuesday June 21st, 2005
From www.athleticsnation.com:
Written By baseballgirl

Last week, I received an invitation (and a very nice ticket - Thanks Robert!) to the Los Angeles screening of the "Boys of Summer" movie, presented by www.baseballdoc.com. I read the description, which said that the movie was about baseball, and I figured, "What a coincidence; I like baseball!" so I went ahead and made the trip.

For those of you who haven't heard of the movie, it chronicles a road trip between father and son to the 30 MLB parks and other baseball interest points around the country. Robert got the idea for the film from Field of Dreams, which captures the feeling of missing out on key moments with a father, knowing all the while that baseball is one of few constants in life that generations can share and pass on. Robert's father was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and it is starting to affect his health. Knowing that time may be limited, they chose to take the ultimate road-trip, and through this baseball odyssey, learned more than they ever bargained for.

I had no expectations going into the screening, but I thought it would be fun to see the different parks; a bit of traveling nostalgia for the ones I have visited, and hope for the future for the parks I have not yet seen. What I had not counted on was that baseball, once again, wove itself into real life, so effortlessly, that I wonder how it can ever be considered just a sport.

For sprinkled in the thirty ballparks around the country, are people who love and live the game of baseball. From the lifelong girlfriends yelling, "Put it on the board!" in Chicago, to the father/son team who claim that the only common thread they have is the game of baseball, to the brave people who live with a debilitating disease, yet still manage to make it out to the ballpark to root for the home team, the stories can be found and enjoyed. And not just in the present.

Robert and his father not only stop at Cooperstown to tip their caps to the players of old, but they also include a stop at the Negro League Hall of Fame to remind us that baseball was the first true race equalizer; before any real strides in the country were made, fans of all races would sit down to watch a baseball game. An era where Jackie Robinson made a tremendous personal sacrifice to show that all men could be a part of the same game. And of course, who can help but get choked up at the footage of the "Field of Dreams" park itself and our father and son duo playing catch outside a cornfield.

For anyone who loves and lives the game of baseball, I would highly recommend this film, and not only for the baseball content. There is just something so human about this movie; something special. A chance to be a part of something bigger. And did I mention the baseball?

No comments:

Post a Comment