Thursday, October 27, 2011

Boys of Summer book Entry #77


July 19, 2004 (4:00 AM) - Bob
Cincinnati, OH

A little trouble sleepin’. It’s the middle of the night and my mind is just racing. Sometimes when days or events go so well, I have a hard time letting go of them because I want them all to go that well. I need (in order to achieve my highest good) to stay present. Reflection on the past and consideration of the future have their place, to be sure, but my greatest need is to be accepting of and present in the now.
 
I’m going to go talk to the marketing folk in the morning and see if we can get on a couple of rides at King’s Island Amusement Park. It would be very, very fun and a good part of the trip. I could use the roller coaster analogy for the highs and lows of the trip. And...it would just be fun.

July 19, 2004 - Dad
Cincinnati, OH

We slept well and woke up to a sunny day and dry camp gear.  While getting our gear together, a man and his two sons stopped by to ask about our banner hung on the side of the Explorer. The boys, Brandon and Austin Cooper, 5 and 7 years old, are good baseball players. They have played on the same team despite their age difference. Bob and I interviewed them for the documentary. 

We were camped next to Paramount’s Kings Island Amusement Park.  We had watched the fireworks and could hear the screams from the roller coasters.  Bob came up with the idea that a ride on the roller coaster would be a good metaphor for our adventure – a lot of ups and downs. We pack up and drive the short distance to the park. After a few inquiries, Bob reaches Maureen Booth, p.r. rep for the park. When Maureen heard our proposal, she agreed to take us personally to "The Beast" their oldest roller coaster. I am not that excited about rides and definitely don’t like roller coasters, but nobody loves a coward – right? 

We go to the front of the long line and Bob and I get in the front of the first car. Well, I’m writing so you know I made it but I had my doubts. We thank Maureen and were off to Cincinnati and Kinko’s and more office work. 

Shortly after 4 p.m. we are back in the Explorer looking for somewhere to barbecue. We end up in a motel  parking lot in Covington, Kentucky. It is just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati and walking distance to the ballpark. After dinner, we are off to the ball game. The Reds new home, Great American Ballpark is overlooking the Ohio River and Covington, Kentucky.  It is a beautiful night for baseball.

An uninspired crowd of 27,500 watched the Reds beat the Brewers.  I have to say after being among the fans in Philadelphia, New York, and Boston, it is a bit of a let down in Cincinnati. After the game, we drive half way to Louisville and stop at the General Butler State Park. We set up camp in the dark and get to sleep about 1 a.m.
Park Number 14 (of 30), Great American Ball Park
 
Cincinnati 8, Milwaukee 4
WP: A. Harang (6-2)   LP: B. Hendrickson (0-2)

Hometown scoreboard: Toronto 5, Oakland 3


 

No comments:

Post a Comment