Monday, October 17, 2011

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #68

July 11, 2004 - Mom
Toronto, ONT
I woke up with my migraine the next morning. It was so bad -- right over the right orbital. These are the worst ones and they are a sign of depression for me. I just took heavy duty Excederin and put ice on my head. I didn’t know what else to do. I threw up. I got up and tried to be around when everyone came home from the game. I really didn’t think that it was the depression. But that’s what happens every time I get a migraine. 
It scared me. It crossed my mind that it could have been depression, but then I would go into denial. I talk to myself and say there’s no reason this could be depression. I’m here with the Payzants and Danny. 
July 11, 2004 - DAD
Toronto, ONT
We finally hear from the Blue Jays that we will be given pre game press passes and tickets to the game. There are 10 of us.  Paulette has a migraine for the first time in 2 years, and is not able to join us.  
We arrive at Sky Dome at 11:30. There is no batting practice because it is picture day. We are on the field in time to watch the roof open. Our contact with the Blue Jays informs us that our planned interview with Greg Zahn, cannot be accommodated. On our way off the field we run into Greg and are able to spend a few minutes with him. 
Our seats are behind home plate but up high in the fifth section. The game between the Jays and the Angels seems to move at a lazy pace. The Jays are outdone by the Angels in front of a crowd of 16,000. Toronto is in a rebuilding mode. After the game we return to the Payzants for dinner and an early night. We all look forward to the All-Star break, a chance to get caught up with laundry, car maintenance and relax.
Park Number 11 (of 30), Sky Dome
Anaheim 5, Toronto 2
 WP: J. Lackey (7-8)   LP: M. Batista (8-6)
Sarcasm alert:
It was neat, the A’s last win...I think it happened in 1994.
Tonight’s score: Cleveland 4, Oakland 1
July 12, 2004 (Early AM) - BOB
Toronto, ONT
It is a beautiful morning in Toronto. I talked to Todd (the Payzant’s son and a close childhood friend who moved away just before high school) last night and damn that was fun. He’s a great guy. Same guy -- still a little boy at heart. I have tons of great memories and I couldn’t be more happy for him and how well his life seems to be going. I really hope I get to see him. 
My mind is a blur right now from talking to my dad -- he has concerns about mom, the second half off the trip, various elements we have lined up vs. those that aren’t (we seem outweighed heavily by the “not lined up” category right now).
My dad’s points, questions and concerns are all valid. The point, for me is to stay open and in the realm of possibility how things may work out positively. I do not have things “nailed down” 100 percent -- that’s been our operating system since day one, though. I think the concerns about mom, seeing her be sick again (she has a migraine headache) is what’s eating most at dad. The possibility of a difficulty...ah...my head’s not working. I’ll write more on this later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment