Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Boys of Summer book Entry #64

Still at Fenway...

Dad:
Bob and Peter both did a great job. We were also interviewed by Colleen for her Red Sox TV show. 

Next we went to visit the area on top of the Green Monster. Batting practice was still going on and we were nearly hit a couple of times. There was a car outside the park that was not so lucky. It suffered a smashed windshield from a BP home run ball.

Our seats are excellent, behind plate in the rear of the first section. Colleen comes by with Red Sox hats and shirts and an old time baseball for Bob and me. She introduces to her Dad, Bill and he invites Bob and me to join him behind the Red Sox dugout in the second row from the field. What a view! 

Interviewing Colleen’s Father, Bill Reilly:

DC:
How did Colleen get her job here?

BR:
I have to remember...At this stage of life, you know, you forget a few things...but a few years ago, the Red Sox had advertised for ambassadors. And 4000 people applied. Not only the youngsters but the age range was probably 15-70. And they kept narrowing it down through interviews. They made the first cut at 2500. Then they went down to 250. Then 25. she was fortunate enough to be selected.

DC:
So there were 25 total positions?

BR:
25 total ambassadors. They’re all over the place.

(The crowd roars as David “Big Papi” Ortiz smashes a base hit.)

They do all kinds of PR. She did that for a while. She moved on and has been working directly with Charles for the last year or so. One of the interesting things she did last year, she ran the bases, sweeping the bases. After the 5th inning, she’d come out in one of those old women’s baseball outfits, with a broom. She’d throw a few balls to the fans.

DC:
She’s not still doing that?

BR:
Once in a while. But not regularly. She does a lot of community relations. Takes care of VIP’s like you. Matter of fact last year for opening day, Ray Charles was here. They set the piano up right here (indicating the infield). It was pouring like hell. He finally came out to play the Star Spangled Banner. He sang the song, then they called the game.

DC:
He was one of my favorites. I was sorry to see him go.

BR:
Oh yeah. You ever see the flag here? They have a flag here that covers the whole (Green Monster). They bring it out on special patriotic holidays. The have it unfurled from the top. It takes about 50 to 100 people to drop it down.

DC:
That’s got to be quite a sight.

BR:
I told Colleen, I hope you don’t ask me any baseball questions. I’m not a great fan. I enjoy coming, you know. But I’m not one of those guys that knows all the history.

DC:
I’m with you. I enjoy the experience. But I don’t have all the batting averages, won-loss records.

BR:
I came with a friend of mine one day who played ball in high school and college -- pretty good ball player. And he said, “This is a happening.”

DC:
It is that.

BR:
People are here, they’re with their friends they have a couple beers, a hot dog...enjoying the whole environment.

DC:
Wonderful environment.

BR:
Incredible. They get a phenomenal group of people here. Very dyed-in-the-wool. They understand the game. And they let the ball players know it. (They laugh)

DC:
We ran into a few of them up on the wall.

BR:
They let them know when they’re doing extraordinarily well and if they’re playing a poor game, they also give them a little noise --

DC:
A little encouragement, huh?

BR:
Yeah.

BC:
What was it like, the first game you brought Colleen here to Fenway?

BR:
I can’t remember. I’m sorry...I wish i had better recollection.

BC:
Do you remember going to games with her?

BR:
With her, sure. Mostly, the best of my recollection, she’s 25, 26 years old. This was a long time ago. Like 20 years ago.

BC:
She told a story about being at a game and sharing with you that she was heartbroken and she was pretty upset and she came and told you about it. Do you remember that?

BR:
No. (laughs)

BC:
She told me -- correct me if I’m wrong here, dad -- that the way she had handled it, that baseball was a nice thing because it took her mind off it for a while. Does that strike a chord with you?

BR:
Well, the story, itself, really doesn’t but I’ve always been very proud of her --

A foul ball lines into our section. We duck just in time. Though I didn’t see the fan’s play on the ball, the disappointed moan of the crowd tells me he must have dropped it initially. “Give it to the kid,” a lady says. “Give it to the kid.” The fan does. The Crowd approves. I notice the sign that says, “Be alert. Foul balls and bats hurt.”

DC:
Wow. That was close.

BR:
Real close.

DC:
Did you see it coming?

BR:
I did.

DC:
I didn’t see it coming.

BR:
It hit down below, but the bounce came up. For some reason they’ve been pulling a lot of balls tonight. Four balls have come over here.

BC:
So you said you’ve always been real proud of her...do you agree that a baseball game is a good place to take your mind off problems?

BR:
Absolutely. I think when you’re here you’re pretty involved with the people you’re sitting with and with what’s going on. It’s an amazing experience really.

BC:
Why is baseball, as a father, a good thing to share with your child?

BR:
I think because they get so interested in what’s happening. They’re happy to be here, they’re happy to participate. It’s nice to do something with an offspring, as you know, something they like to do.

DC:
There you go.

BR:
We do a lot of one-on-ones, we’ve taken a lot of trips. I’ve got three children and those are the best times. One-on-one, get to talk to them and they get to understand you a little bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment