Friday, October 21, 2011

Boys of Summer book Entry #72

Park Number 12 (of 30), Comerica Park

New York 5, Detroit 1
WP: J. Contreras (7-3)   LP: J. Bonderman (6-7)

Oakland 4, ChiSox 2 - We win, We WIN, WE FINALLY WIN!!!

July 16, 2004 - Bob
Pittsburgh, PA


We saw Comerica on Thursday; interesting park -- beautiful, actually, at first appearance. I wonder though, after walking out,  if it might not all be a bit too much -- like it's really trying (kind of Disneyesque-over-the-top). Don't get me wrong - it's a great place to see a game. And at first glance, the outside decor is a real eye-catcher, but I don't know if it has a lasting beauty...maybe it's not made to be so. Then again, maybe it will grow into the city and the city into it. You’ve gotta start somewhere.

I’m reminded sometimes how good I have it. I can bitch and moan and be pissy about the problems (as I perceive them) in front of me or I can look at a wider view and remember to be thankful. Our host, John Trudeau, is an excellent reminder of sweetness, kindness and someone who truly understands giving from the heart.

When he says, “It’s nice to just have some company” I really want to cry -- talk about a broken heart. His wife of 28 years left him, his boys aren’t around and he suffers from a number of debilitating ailments including Parkinson Disease and yet, somehow, he finds a way to be happy with what he’s got. He keeps getting up -- he keeps going. He is an inspiration and a wonderful reminder to count my many blessings.

He has been through so much and he opened his house to us without even having met us. Wow. I get choked up just thinking about his kindness.

July 16, 2004 - Dad
Pittsburgh, PA


John is a very gracious host despite his mobility problems.  He has difficulty sleeping and is up when we awake at 5:45 a.m. to get Paulette to the airport. John’s last words to me were "Don’t let this disease eat you." 

After saying good bye to Paulette, we are off of Pittsburgh. It is a visual treat with all its rivers, bridges and hills. I have a very difficult time getting my sense of direction. We find a camp ground about 35 miles outside of Pittsburgh. 

After setting up camp, we are off to Sing Sing for a fundraiser.  Karl Bailey is our host and does a great job of entertaining and telling our story. Karl and my daughter Christine worked together at Sing Sing in San Diego. The crowd is very supportive and generous. We are back to our campsite by 12:30 p.m. and ready for sleep.


July 16, 2004 - Mom
Walnut Creek, CA

When we left the Payzants, I started realizing I was going to be going home and be alone for five weeks.

It was very, very hard for me to meet John. He is such a nice man. But when I left, it scared me. He had the rigidity like Dad. I just projected what life would be like for Dad -- and that sent me spiraling (the fear). I was feeling very anxious (at the Detroit airport). Very sad and scared. I knew I was coming home for five weeks without seeing him -- a long time.

Seeing John Trudeau and thinking about Danny pushed me over the edge. It really frightened me.

I was in denial. I tried to put on a happy face for Dan. We know each other too well.

The next five weeks were a spiral.

No comments:

Post a Comment