Monday, February 6, 2012

Boys of Summer Book - Entry #161

100% proceeds go to the Michael J Fox Foundation. 

July 9, 2006 - Bob
Walnut Creek, CA

Some ups, some downs...

We didn’t get the New York Post article as we had hoped. They loved our story, but were looking for something a little more local. Easy enough to understand as we’re on the left coast and all.

The good: the Oprah Winfrey show has expressed interest. I’ve long felt we’d be a perfect fit. The producer who contacted me said they keep projects on file to see if they fit with any of their upcoming shows. There’s no guarantee this does anything but put us into what I’m sure is a very big vault, but hey, it’s Oprah’s big vault. Here’s to hoping.
August 1, 2006 - Mom
Walnut Creek, CA

The difference in therapy now and then, is huge. I feel like I’m on a road -- it’s a good path. Before it was like a report card -- 1/2 hour and goodbye. This is working. Our therapist is working with us, helping us to work directionally.

I came from a place of fear with Kaiser. What I learned at the  clinic (in Seattle) was I don’t need to be afraid. It was having dad with me, that he was learning right along with me, that love and support that he showed was absolutely incredible.

The staff there were just so direct. They made me look at the disease, take responsibility. Giving me the actual tools was just amazing to me. It definitely empowered me. It’s a lifelong process. It’s like having diabetes -- you are never going to get rid of it. But you can manage it by your insulin (medication) and through behavior modification. Here are the tools. Each of us had particular behavior modifications for each of our temperaments, personalities and behaviors. It was specific to each of us -- not generic. I wasn’t categorized. I was dealt with as a PERSON, not a disease.

The spiritual aspect was huge to me. It was an important level to connect to. It wasn’t thrown in my face. It wasn’t fundamental or judgmental. It was comforting, informative and still challenging... but it was in a way that I like. It spoke to me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment