Wednesday, April 23, 2014

the whole body approach

See the original film, new clips & donate to help us finish the new film by clicking here. Thank you.

Healthy or not healthy? That is the question. Or is it? Just as my dad (and most people I've met with a chronic illness) does not wish to be defined by his illness, the question of whether or not one is healthy or not is a bit more nuanced than yes or no. This is of particular interest now as we're heading down a new path in dad's maintenance. Superior Health Solutions, a medical facility here in Las Vegas, has offered to treat my dad for no cost, save for the supplements they require he take. Make no mistake, this is a lengthy list -- but so is the list of ailments they found in diagnosing his blood work.

This is a difficult crossroad for people who are afraid or in pain. Do I stay the course with what is known, paid for by my insurance, and generally accepted? Or do I strike out and try the new thing, potentially risking health, finances, and precious time? We came to Superior Health Solutions through a local Las Vegas friend and Parkinson's fundraiser. After making the introduction, I went in to meet Dr. DeMartino and his PR/Marketing Director, Michelle DellaMonica. I liked their facility and approach right away. I also appreciated that they were not only willing but encouraging of my documenting every step along the way, seeing a mutual benefit for them in terms of getting the word out about new approaches to PD. I am very sensitive to putting my dad in a compromised position. At the same time, I recognize the folly of inaction when there are potential actions that can lend to a greater quality of life.

Sometimes the argument in these matters comes back to "a cure". While the pursuit of a cure is noble, it is beyond anything we, as lay people, can do. Scientists and doctors have a far greater understanding of that process than I do, so it seems best to let that be and let them do while we take care of the part we can. What can we do? Be curious. Be active. Be engaged. Be bold. Be smart.

The selfish benefit of this proposal is having my parents in Las Vegas for a bit more time, now with the built in "excuse" of being treated. It's a different kind of journey we're on this time around - but quite interesting, all the same. I hope it's, perhaps, even more approachable as we're not doing what, for most people, is unthinkable: taking two months out of our lives and going. This is piecemeal. Life is very immediate and demanding, both from a health perspective and a family perspective with two little ones.  All of these things are part of the whole body or, maybe better, whole life approach.  

After we work on some logistics in a conversation early next week, we expect treatment to begin very soon. I will post results as we get them as I believe this approach is about more than just my dad or Parkinson's.

We are still fundraising for the sequel documentary and we need your help! Please click here to donate to our film. We will keep a running tab of how much we've raised and what are expenses are for so you can see where the money goes. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment