Friday, April 25, 2014

Simple Stuff



Our new book, Simple Stuff, is available for purchase for $2.99 as an ebook on Amazon (click here). This book was written in 2002-2003, before the trip for the original documentary "Boys of Summer" was even conceived. It was a key point in our relationship, however, as it drew us together, literally, over an artistic venture. I got to see my dad's wonderful childlike qualities, sensibilities and sense of humor play off of my writing, which was largely influenced by my study of the Tao Te Ching. Below is the original introduction I wrote for the book. It took another nine years to bring the book to market. "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans", right?

A Simple Introduction (circa 2005)

The idea for this project came to me in a beautiful way: it whispered to me. I’m glad I listened. 

I was sitting in a conference room at the Excalibur Hotel in Las Vegas (where I was living at the time -- Las Vegas, not the Excalibur), waiting to be called for the next shot -- I was working as an actor in an in-house video. I began to write, as I often do, not knowing what I was writing, just feeling the burn when inspiration grabs me. These thoughts -- small bits of what I perceived to be wisdom -- were crowding my head, needing to come out so that I could release them, emptying my cup, and making way for whatever else need come my way. I began to write and a fellow actor asked me: “What are you doing? Writing a book?” It hadn’t occurred to me until then that was exactly what I was doing. “Yes,” I said. “I’m writing a book.” That simple admittance meant a lot. It's scary to admit an endeavor so large; It meant I had to finish it. 

That same day, my parents happened to be in town. They were coming to Vegas from a wonderful road trip to, among other places, the spectacular natural beauty of Bryce Canyon and Arches, Utah. On the ride to the hotel, the idea that had never left me grew a new leaf: What if Dad illustrated my writings to make them come alive even further? This worked on so many levels, I thought, not the least of which is connecting with my Dad on a new level: the creative. My Dad met it with his cute, cautious smile and a shrug. I believe his words were something to the effect of “sure” or “why not?”. Perhaps not the resounding embracement I was looking for, but that enthusiasm is more oft than not filled in by my Mom (and it was, again, in this case). 

My biggest concern with the project was, would it really happen? So many times in my experience with collaborations people start with a tremendous ball of passion and fire then peter out to a wet, limp match of excuses the minute things get a bit sticky. Thankfully, that wasn’t the case with my Dad. He was warm, responsive, thoughtful, open, creative and incredibly funny in his sly little way. Sitting down with Dad in the house I grew up in after the first draft, I congratulated him and, in effect, both of us as a team for doing what we had set out to do. The sweet smile on his face gave me a peek at what he looked like as a handsome five year-old -- a lifetime before the various difficulties of the world settled upon him. 

This process has been incredibly healing. Our relationship continues to grow to new levels I had never before imagined. I am grateful, humbled and, most of all, happy for the experience. Thank you, Dad, for your courage, accountability and beautiful creativity. I love you very much.

Our new book, Simple Stuff, is available for purchase for $2.99 as an ebook on Amazon (click here).

No comments:

Post a Comment