Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Spring Training - Cactus '14 (part two)

The Boys of Summer - Second Base, sequel to the award-winning first documentary, began principal photography on March 13, 2014. We need your help. Please visit our kickstarter page and share it with your friends and family.
 
Day two of Spring Training started early. Dad and I made the short drive to Phoenix Municipal Stadium, the A's home for one last Spring Training (they move to the Cubs old digs, Hohokam, next year). We were the first ones in the parking lot. This was yet another reminder of National Lampoon's Vacation (empty Wally World...). Learning nothing from Clark, we parked up front. Even from the rock star parking, it was a bit of a hike to the park across a foot bridge. I became very aware of my dad's struggle to walk. He uses walking sticks, which make his effort a bit easier, but it's still labored. You'll never hear him complain - which worries me. I have to keep my eye on him and try to anticipate when he's had enough.

The A's PR office was closed. A lone clubhouse staff member spotted us snooping around and said the guys arrival time actually got pushed back by about two hours. Normally, this might bother me. But with my dad, an empty ball park and a camera, I'll roll the dice. We walked in and looked around. Phoenix Muni is not known as one of the better spring training venues - in fact, it's known as one of the worst. But sitting in it when it was empty made it absolutely beautiful to us. I interviewed dad for the first time in our new adventure and it was like ten years ago was yesterday. He does very well in front of the camera. He's incredibly generous with his feelings, thoughtful with his answers and quick with a joke at an unexpected moment. He was also very patient as I went through about ten minutes of teching the audio I couldn't get to produce a signal. I love my dad.

Another father and son, this one about 40 and eight years old, respectively, poked their heads in the park. We immediately struck up a conversation. I asked if I could interview them and they said yes. Then there was a rabid A's fan from Fresno. Then a mom and son who told us that the day's game wasn't even being played at Phoenix Muni, but rather in the aptly named city of Surprise some 35 miles northwest. Between the closed clubhouse, the tech issues and this news, something told me I was really screwing things up. I was a bit nervous I was on a fool's errand with this entire journey.

It was finally 9:30 - time to check out the clubhouse. That story, and the resulting video with my son are covered best in this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment