Saturday, March 8, 2014

Boys of Summer - Rounding Second Base

The Boys of Summer - Second Base, sequel to the award-winning first documentary, began principal photography on March 13, 2014. We need your help. Please visit our kickstarter page and share it with your friends and family.

We begin principal photography next week in Phoenix during Spring Training. My wife, two young kids and both of my parents will be joining me. I say joining me because the initial drive to go on the trip came from being invited to speak at the Nine Baseball Conference. I'm honored to be around this group of great academics, baseball fans and fellow filmmakers. I plan on interviewing several people from the conference for the new film.

Beyond the conference, I have a press pass for the A's/Royals match-up on Friday, Mar. 14. It will be fun bumping around the clubhouse and scrounging for interviews for the new film. We'll also be speaking with Dr. Holly Shill, who we interviewed for the original documentary.

It's exciting and a bit scary to be taking this project on again. It was so immersive and, for the goal at hand, necessarily so. This film is going to be quite different. My dad is much more a case study this time and we have some exciting medical professionals helping us out. He's also in quite a different place with the disease. I'm in a massively different place of my life. To place these films side by side, I think, will be a very powerful marker of the passage of time.

The rebooted kickstarter page should be up within a day or two. We're putting together a local fundraiser here in Las Vegas, as well. This go-round, originally proposed as another 30-stadium trek around the country, has been changed dramatically to be fair to my dad - that type of schedule simply wasn't going to be fair to his health. We will go to the six parks built since 2004. Those are: New York Yankees, New York Mets, Washington Nationals, Miami Marlins, St. Louis Cardinals and Minnesota Twins. We will visit the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, IA once again, too as it was the heart of why we went.

There are a number of specific details to come in the next couple of days. I look forward to sharing them with you. For now, I'll hope that you're all awakening to the spring, a new day in baseball and new hope; 'tis the season for such eternal musings.

No comments:

Post a Comment