Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Calling it quits

We’ve gone far enough. We’ve been rejected – multiple times. It’s time to call it quits. These are the voices in my head.

Duke and Northwestern said no to my MFA application, making me a terrifically transparent zero for five in my applications for fall 2014. My dad is not feeling any new results from the treatment he's been undergoing here in Las Vegas. There is no new support or even, truthfully, constant regular support for the sequel to Boys of Summer. With all that in mind, the reasonable thing to do is move on.

But I don’t feel like being that shade of reasonable.

In any process toward the completion of a goal, there are going to be obstacles, mistakes and challenges. All of these present the opportunity to learn or die. I choose to learn. School is off the radar for the fall of 2014. That doesn’t mean I won’t continue to teach and learn my craft. My dad is feeling anxious about this plateau. Dr. DeMartino anticipated this and has begun him on a new level of the treatment, adding in supplements, variations of the modalities already in play and nutrition. The detoxification continues. And when it does, stuff sometimes comes out of us that we find shocking – feelings, parasites, odd smelling and colored stuff. It’s all part of resetting back to zero and starting again. This does not equate to failure. It’s just the process.

As for Boys of Summer – Second Base, nothing that we’re doing, dad’s treatment, golf training, meditation and the sheer amount of time we’re spending together, would be happening without this process. I don’t know what the film will add up to. I don’t have to. My job is to respect the process, roll the camera and ask questions. It will be what it needs to be when it needs be it. Onward.


If you'd like to contribute, we certainly would appreciate your help. Please visit http://www.bosmovie.com. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment